Chapter 48

Another week went by and Sofia felt more and more at home in the data centre. She started to really enjoy her tasks, especially when she knew that they were aimed against the Lux Club. She was releasing her bitterness towards William that way. She spent afternoons and evenings with Adam, which also gave her considerable satisfaction. She actually found out that the former friend of her... what? Ex-boyfriend? Hardly. William's former friend who was actually just a human being, like everyone else, also had his bright and dark sides and now, he was showing many more of those brighter ones. Although she would never have said so, Adam made her laugh, entertained her and took her to magical places. She knew that he did it mainly in order to punish William, but she didn't care. She was enjoying the little that life was giving her now because she knew that sooner or later, she would be killed by one Club or the other.

Actually... one was about to do it quite soon. It had happened one afternoon a few days ago. She was just sitting in the data centre at one of the smaller PRIM workstations when a vision seized her once again, like in the hotel with William previously, when she'd seen Victor still alive. This time, she saw many unknown faces, a vote and its outcome. As soon as she came back to herself, she ran to the lift as quick as lightning and took it all the way up to the 20thfloor. She burst into Valentina's office without knocking or being invited, panting a little as she'd been running along the corridor.

"Sofia, you're unbelie..." began Valentina, but Sofia silenced her immediately with her fatal words.

"They want to destroy the data centre with me in it!"

Valentina looked at her for a few seconds, gob smacked. That's impossible. The Lux Club doesn't kill, not intentionally. What in God's name made them decide on taking this step? She thought about it for a while, but then she got another, even more pressing thought. How come the Gift revealed it to Sofia and how come she'd told her? She could have taken advantage of the situation, let the Lux agents attack the building and in the meantime escape. Unless... "You really are ours now, Dear," she said with a loving smile. That's how it was. Valentina had no idea when it happened and what it was that made the young woman sacrifice her golden bond and love in favour of the Umbra Club, but it happened.

Sofia looked at her boss blankly. "I've just told you that there are explosives coming here along with half of the Lux operatives from the entire continent and you're interested in my loyalty?" Her voice sounded disbelieving rather than angry. "Of course I'm yours! How many more times will I have to prove it to you? Isn't it enough that I've got a hole in my chest after the bond that I've cut through, that I've frightened away all my old friends, that I fulfil my tasks with determination and now I've given this information to you?"

Valentina just smiled contentedly, sincerely, perhaps for the first time since Sofia had known her. Her sincere smile was actually quite pretty and human. "Thank you," she said finally. Nothing more.

Sofia knew she didn't need to worry any more. Valentina was the most competent person and knew exactly what to do in this situation. There was no wonder that since Sofia had burst into her office, more and more Umbra agents began to roam the building. Valentina was gathering arms, just like her enemies. The former wrapping service owner wasn't bothered about it. She knew she was safe and continued to devote herself to her tasks and to him. The dangerous maniac who was helping her to perfectly forget the whole world around. Like today.

"Well?" she asked when she'd knocked on his door after work again.

Adam grinned with his typical wide smile. "Pool," he said, "go and get your swimming stuff. We're gonna check out that famous wellness centre."

Sofia laughed. They were in a building which the public believed to be a spa and wellness centre, only for the two of them it was everything else but. She loved water, so she went to her room without complaining and changed into a bikini. Of course, Valentina had thought of everything. Then she knocked on Adam's door again. They were both wrapped in their dressing gowns and looked at each other a bit shyly. They walked to the lift in silence and when they got in, Adam hesitated for a moment. "Our pool or the public one?"