Chapter 11

For about a week I was back at the shop almost every day. Then, after one afternoon when Adrian almost called me an ambulance, I was stuck at home again. I don't know exactly what happened, but I suddenly found myself lying on the floor, Yvette and Adrian were leaning over me, trying to bring me back... from what, actually? Unconsciousness? I felt as if I wasn't in my own body at all. I was trembling, had a terrible head ache, awful cramps in my stomach and I couldn't remember how I got onto the floor at all.

After this experience, I once again stayed home drinking loads of tea, sleeping and enduring regular check ups from Julian and Mr. Tom.

Today, it was Julian's turn. He was sitting in my living room, strumming something on his guitar and suddenly, out of the blue, it slipped from his mouth that some "suit" was looking for me at the shopping centre. Apparently he was asking where I lived and was demanding my address. It spread all over the centre like a piece of hot gossip, especially as he went to ask Darson.

"At least that stupid arse had just enough brains not to tell him anything. Although I assume that it was more because he didn't want to help the competition rather than protect you."

I smiled. Julian's deductions have always been accurate and he saw through Darson a long time ago. "What do you mean – help the competition?" I asked and wondered what attractive man could have been looking for me. I was wearing the badge of an unattainable businesswoman and the men around me had stopped trying to conquer me a long time ago – except Darson. He, however, wasn't a man, but a pig.

"I don't know, apparently it was some tall, well-built guy with black hair wearing a suit. That's all I know," Julian replied. He continued strumming for a while and when it got dark outside and his mind was at peace because I was reasonably okay, he went home. He left my post and some papers I'd asked him to bring from the shop, on the table.

When Julian left, I started tidying up our left over coffee cups and whilst doing that, I brushed past a stack of documents which scattered down off the table. I swore and put the cups back down onto the table. I picked up the papers and I suddenly noticed the business card with the inscription "William White, consultant".

A tall, well-built guy with black hair... But why would he be looking for me? I still remembered him, well yes there was something quite unusual about him. However, it had been weeks since he'd had that strange stone wrapped at my shop and after that I hadn't thought about him for a long time. He had become merely one of the many faces in a long list of customers.

When I fell asleep at night, I had that horrible nightmare again. Darson. His hands on my thigh, on my breasts, traffic, night time, anxiety then a sharp gasp of breath, my bed and the safety of my home. Another attempt to sleep then more cramps...