Chapter 49

Like every day, Bernard went to buy the Italian newspapers before he opened his jeweller's shop. It had been almost 3 weeks now since Sofia had called Yvette then disappeared. Fabrizio said she was in the same spa that the police had arrested her in. Apparently, her new advocate was some Valentina De Luca. That was all he knew. Until today.

The graceful shopkeeper picked up the newspaper from the shelf and Sofia's face jumped right out at him from the third page. The photograph didn't show her by herself... Luxurious House Arrest that Anyone Could Wish for.That was the headline. Underneath, it said that Sofia Jacobs who'd been accused of murder and temporarily released under house arrest was unscrupulously enjoying the premises of the spa where the murder was committed. The intriguing circumstances seemed suspicious to the Italian daily as well as to the perfectly practical Bernard. This wasn't about a lack of faith any more. These were clear facts. Black on white. Or rather beige on aquamarine.

The photo was very suggestive. Sofia was kissing an unknown man in a small pool. A great paparazzi shot. The jeweller's stomach turned over. He folded the newspaper and put it under his arm. He picked up his phone and summoned the small doughnut council which would be lacking one member, probably forever. Five minutes later, they all met in Adrian's bakery.

"Well? What have you got?" the elderly baker asked impatiently.

Bernard threw the newspaper onto the counter. Such rough manners weren't like him at all. "I told you that there might be some truth in that spy tale of hers."

Adrian frowned and opened the broadsheet papers. Then he saw the photo of Sofia and some half naked blonde guy. "Is that for real?" he asked finally. He wasn't able to translate the text, so he just stared at the picture which spoke for itself.

Yvette looked down sadly.

Julian was speechless, probably for the first time in his life.

Mr. Tom had to sit down on the nearest chair. "So it is true," he said in a quiet, tired voice. He still couldn't believe it.

"But she wouldn't be showing herself off in newspapers if she was a spy!" Adrian still couldn't get his head round it.

But this time, even Julian opposed him. "Come on, old man, face it. Maybe it's her latest mission..."

Adrian just shook his head in disbelief. Finally he put the newspaper away and pulled some freshly baked chocolate doughnuts from underneath the counter. "Here, help yourselves," he said gloomily, "you all need to sweeten your lives a little." No one protested and each of them took their daily dose of sugar.

Meanwhile, on the other side of the city, the same newspaper lay on a desk with a long face above it. The face belonged to William. He was sitting in the Master's office reading the article with a photo that nearly tore his heart to pieces. Sofia was kissing Adam and someone had caught them red handed doing it. Or more likely yet – Adam wanted to be caught red handed. It must have been a clear message for William. The time will come when it comes back to you...

Again and again. Sometimes the young charismagician wondered whether it was possible to suffer even more. It was. Today surpassed all the days previously when he fretted about his betrayal and then Sofia's. He had been planning to go to Rome and try to get her out of there. Now the Master called him and showed him the latest issue of an Italian daily with Sofia who no longer wanted to be rescued. The hideous find in the paper was not all though.

"I must talk to you, William," said Gabriel seriously, focusing his stern eyes on William.

"What about?" the young charismagician asked.

"About Clause 11 and what the Masters' Council have agreed on."

William didn't say anything but he didn't have his shield up and a surprised question appeared in his head. Clause 11? He'd never heard about anything like that before.