|Chapter 13| Explaining Your Life pt 2

The stone tunnels of Notch's base home soon gave way to... well, more stone, but the rooms were furnished and cluttered and the walls were covered with shelves and blueprints and papers that had been scrawled on and cupboards and desks and benches and so on. Somehow, Notch managed to keep the floor clean with all the clutter around and the shelves were crowded but still neat and labeled. Adam peered into one of the doorways they passed and saw a huge room full of hundreds on hundreds of books that gave off an aura of mystery.

          "So, your magic, General Adam," Notch said as they walked, getting right back to business. "It is synthetically created, which doesn't mean much except that you did not inherit it from any ancestor, which is quite unique."

          "When you had magic the first time, it altered your body," Herobrine said, turning so that he could see Adam. "It literally rewired your cells, which did almost killed you, but it did leave a lasting impression."

          "A lasting impression that now means that your body is capable to command magical energy," Notch continued, picking up the thread. "That is why you were able to absorb that energy instead of being destroyed by it."

          "If I was able to control magic, then why did it hurt so much to get it back?" Adam asked.

          "Because my magic is different to normal magic," Herobrine said. "I'll have to explain more later but basically, that magic is in your DNA now, your genetics. It's completely compatible with you and therefore much much harder to remove, so please don't try."

          "And the reason why I can't control it without my sunglasses? That doesn't sound like it's super compatible."

          "Magic grows as its user grows," Notch explained. "As sorcerers grow up with their magic, it is easier to control. Because you haven't had that experience, and because your magic is quite strong, that can make it difficult to use. But there's another reason; Magical energy of any kind needs something to harness to for it to be stable. For most sorcerers, it is their ancestry, a bloodline. For you, your magic choose your glasses to use as stability. Remove those sunglasses-"

          "And your body controls every bit of magic all by itself, which means that it's uncontrollable, very powerful and insanely dangerous."

          "Do you two normally finish off each other's sentences?" Adam asked, raising an eyebrow.

          "Only when it comes to magic," Herobrine said.

          "As you know, you need to keep your sunglasses on your person at all times to keep your magic under control." Notch glanced at the General out of the side of his eye. "Although that can be difficult, given their size and intended purpose. Hm."

          "Anyway, you want to show us around?" Herobrine asked, looking eagerly around at the rooms they were passing through.

          "No." Notch flicked the corner of a blanket as they passed to better cover the large machine it was over, the purpose or design of which Adam couldn't even begin to comprehend. But he didn't bother to dwell on it because they had just entered what must have been the very centre of Notch's home, which meant it was also the most interesting place.

          A river that ran out of the stone wall on one side turned a huge water wheel that was connected to strings and wires and baskets and a dozen other things that were pulled or pushed or hit as the wheel turned, moving files of papers to and fro, closing the door behind them as they entered, and powering lights that hung from the ceiling that seemed to burn with an inner fire but didn't give off any smoke.