Chapter 39

The two seats in the front row at the New York stop remained empty throughout the duration of the concert. He glanced over for most of the times he was on stage and his heart broke. But he knew it was coming, he knew this would happen after the news broke. The fans were supportive because Jennie was exactly the person they wanted him with, rich, beautiful, successful in school. They can't see behind the facade, the glamour, that none of it was real.

When the concert was happening, Rosie stayed by your side and even slept on your bed. She hummed you to sleep and wiped any tears away. She did that for a month straight and every day, she would try to bring you to a different place because a change in scenery might make you happier. You appreciated everything she did, but what your eyes see never matters, it's what your heart feels that hurts that most. Actually, you couldn't quite describe the pain your heart felt, it was more agonizing than drowning or being burned alive. It was like free falling and never being able to stop. The moon gets further and further away. When you cry, nothing comes out. You try screaming, breaking everything that belonged to him. But in the end, you stayed in bed, not eating, not living. The necklace he gave you locked away along with everything else.

After the news broke, even American television blew up. You couldn't avoid the sight of them though there haven't been any official photos of them next to each other. You deleted all social media and blocked both their numbers. Your mom calls you every night to check up on you. Even his parents called and said they haven't been able to talk to him or make sense of the situation. They told you to not give up on him, but you told them it was him that had given up. Hoseok and Yoongi message every now and then, at first to check up on you, and then to tell you that Namjoon was a mess. You eventually just ignored them all. It was too much for you to handle. You confided in Taehyung the most, it seems that you two were in the exact same boat.

When they weren't performing, Namjoon would escape and drink on his own. He went to the rooftop of hotels and stare at the stars, the same stars he used to look at with you. He began counting again, and once again no number could define his love for you. Jennie calls once in awhile while he was on tour to tell him about her father's condition. He thought back to that day he saw her entering the door. Her hair was cut short to her shoulder and she didn't have the aura of confidence anymore. It meant that she was forced into this situation as much as he was. He was so angry, not at her, but at her father, at Band P.D, and the future. What's worse was that her father took his phone and didn't allow him to call you to explain, which made everything worse. There was no helping the situation, but he still would have liked for you to hear it from him first.

"Fuck." he yelled out. He threw the bottle into the distance. Tomorrow he would have to go back to Korea and pretend to be with Jennie. Her father invited him to a gala for his charity. It's despicable that he would have a charity while going around making threats. Namjoon wondered how Jennie grew to be such a kind-hearted person despite being raised by a monster. He pitied her and himself. Namjoon wasn't the person to cry easily, but that day, he broke down. That day, he had lost the motivation to do anything, to take care of himself. The stars were getting further away from him.

The funny thing about time is that it stops for no one, so he was back in Korea. This time, there were more cameras, more paparazzi, more questions about Jennie, all of which he tried to avoid. He said nothing in the car to Yoongi and Hoseok. He didn't even go home, he couldn't face his parents and your mother, especially. So he went to the apartment and planned on remaining there until he dies probably, because there was no way you would come back to him, he thought.

The night of the gala, Jennie knocked on the door of the apartment. Namjoon was surprised to see her, but then not really. She entered the place, and gasped when she saw the number of empty beer cans on the ground. There were also empty bags of chips.

"Namjoon, when was the last time you had a proper meal?"

"I don't know." he slurred. "Maybe on the plane."

"Namjoon, that was a week ago." she yelled.

"Shut up. Why do you care anyway? We're not really dating." He went to pick up another opened beer can and she slapped it out of his hand.

"I know we're not dating. But we are still friends and I'm so sorry for everything that's happening, but you can't be like this. You need to take care of yourself, if not for you, then for Y/N. How do you think she'll feel if she sees you like this?"

He looked at Jennie dead in the eye and laughed. "Y/N hates me now, and it's all my fault."

Jennie bit her lips and grabbed a hold of his shoulders. "It's also my fault. Taehyung probably hates me too. I had to break up with him or else my father would ruin his life. We were forced into this situation and we can either succumb to the evilness of the world, or we can thrive for our sake. Eventually, I will break us free from this. But I can't do it on my own, I need your help too. So please, Namjoon."

When Namjoon looked at Jennie again, he saw how wrong he was. He wasn't the only one that was hurting. But unlike him, Jennie was fighting as best as she could. She wore a red dress and did her hair, she was a fighter. "Okay." he said and went to wash up. When they arrived a the gala, the spotlight was turned towards them. Jennie wrapped her arm around his but there wasn't a sign of desire in the touch, it was pure survival. Her father's face lit up in satisfaction when he saw them approaching.

"There's my lovely daughter and her boyfriend." he chuckled gaily and told his friends. "I'm hoping he'll be my son-in-law soon." Namjoon flinched a little when he heard that part but said nothing. Her father went around to introduce him to all his business partners. Namjoon would smile and nod and offered nothing in return to continue the conversation. Her father was starting to get annoyed. He excused him and Namjoon from the group and pulled him to a corner.

"Kim Namjoon, if my senses are correct, it seems that you're deliberately trying to embarrass me in front of my colleagues." he said in a low tone.

"You should listen to your senses then because that's exactly what I'm doing." Namjoon replied, monotone.

Her father chuckled. "I see. Well I didn't think I would be able to convince you of the arrangement so easily. But mark my word young man, there are consequences to your action. So take your pick now, will you obey or not?"

For the first time in a long time, Namjoon was confident in his choice. "Not." But the reaction of the man was not one he was expecting. He smiled devilishly and pulled out his cellphone to make a call, leaving Namjoon completely in the dark.