Chapter 33: A letter, a safe house and more...

Start from the beginning

It had stunning golden hair and huge majestic antlers that were made of solid gold. Sadly it was an impossible catch to beat, so our group ended up being second place and my brothers group placed third. So at the end of the day what really mattered happened. I beat Cornelius!'

Riley giggled out loud, Alice's want to beat her brother was reaching obsession level.

'Even though we did not place first I am ecstatic!

Secondly, it's the tradition of the hunt that the hunters keep their prey. I being a mistress of Fire have taken the Phoenix home with me, Arcadia took home the warrior shrew because her parents have apparently been studying the Shrew species for quite some time and would love the chance to have one, especially a warrior shrew. Since the Sorkinis Quailer has to live somewhere remote where it can sing freely without bothering anyone, we released it back into the forest, thus I have neatly packaged the remaining animal in a box for you, the crystalline snake is fast asleep in the package.'

Riley paused. She looked down at the large red gift box with a copper ribbon around it. She read over the last few lines of the letter again. Then looked back at the box. Then took a few steps back with a fearful grimace on her face.

"Is anything the matter Milady?" Asked Bard who was concerned to see the frightened look on his Lady's face. Riley laughed it off to reassure him.

"Oh no, it's nothing don't worry Bard!" She giggled nervously.

She felt a bit unsure as to what to do. She vividly remembered catching the crystalline snake in the wild. It was huge... Huge! And it was a snake! A dangerous meat eating predator, whose skin was as hard as rock, too hard to penetrate, thus Arcadia had to use her wood style magic to capture it because Alice's fire arrows literally bounced off its skin.

Not knowing what to do next, Riley carried on reading.

You don't have to worry though. Arcadia and I ended up having a chat with Horace and Hammon Romulus, who are level S adventurers as well as members of the Knights Order, so they are very knowledgeable about rare animals and other rare minerals that they go in search of. They told us that the Crystalline snakes are actually harmless and don't eat meat, they actually only eat rocks, usually precious metals and even gemstones. They grind down metals and gemstones and then eat them, and hence why their scales are made of crystals. Also when they defecate they produce a really rare and precious gemstone that is called Crystalline. This metal is so precious partly because of its beauty and partly because it is a mineral that is able to bond with magic forever! We thought you might find it useful.'

Riley grinned excitedly. Crystalline was the type of metal she was going to go to the guild to have them fetch for her. But now that she was in possession of a crystalline making snake, she wouldn't need to go and have them find some for her. She was also very relieved that the snake wasn't a meat eating one... one downside though was that she was going to have to buy lots of jewels and gemstones to keep the thing satisfied.

Riley turned over the page and saw that there was still some writing there.

'Riley also please note that the snake prefers to live in darkness and doesn't like the light or loud noise, however it will eventually like to warm itself up in the sun, so set up a home for it in a dark alcove in your house, but an alcove where the snake can get some warm light.