Part 18: Hiding Under A Table... It's Still A Great Solution To Any Problem!

Start from the beginning

"Well, I got powers and that changed me a bit," Romeo told him. Lukas looked at Romeo like Romeo had made the understatement of the century. The blond's shock quickly melted into worry and he stared off into space.

"Yeah, you're right. You've changed. I hate to say it, but you're sharply critical of the citizens and a bit egocentric. You're not the Jesse I used to know, and that scares me," Lukas pointed out. His tone was clearly one of heartbreak, but there was a slight bristle of anger in his voice as well. "I'm not sure I even know you anymore, Jesse," Lukas confessed. His voice was tight and anguished, and his indignation was growing. Romeo was terrified of losing yet another friend.

"Lukas... I'll show you something I've never shown anyone else," Romeo promised. Lukas' eyes lit up. The indignance and anguish were still present, but almost gone.

"Really?" Lukas asked eagerly. Romeo nodded and motioned for Lukas to follow him. Lukas and Romeo walked until they reached the Primary Terminal. Lukas chuckled a little. "Hasn't everyone seen this? It's practically floating over the town," Lukas joked. Romeo smiled slyly.

"Yeah, but no one's seen inside it," Romeo told him. Lukas and Romeo entered the Primary Terminal. The walls were made of stone and the floor was covered with red carpet. The only lighting was sea lanterns and the structure was so quiet you could hear a pin drop.

"It's really quiet in here. It's... calming or eerie, depending on how you look at it. I think I'm gonna go with a mix of both," Lukas stated. Romeo beamed at him.

"True. The silence can be a bit unnerving sometimes," Romeo agreed. Elation spread across Lukas' face.

"It's nice to see you smile again," Lukas replied. Genuine warmth oozed from his voice, which made Romeo feel good.

He liked to feel good.

"Thank you, Lukas. That really means a lot to me," Romeo answered. And he meant it. The two of them continued to walk down the hallway of the Primary Terminal until they got to a room with an abundance of red glass cells on the walls.

And there were people in those cells. Stampy Cat, Stacy Plays, and about seven other men and women. Stampy had green eyes and curly brown hair. He wore an orange cat hoodie, a green shirt that was barely poking out of the hoodie, blue jeans, and white sneakers. Stacy had green eyes and dark brown hair worn loose. Today she was dressed in a white and navy blue striped shirt with a brown sash worn around it, blue jeans, and brown boots with laces.

In the moment that he offered Lukas a visit to the Primary Terminal, Romeo had forgotten that he'd locked people up there. People who disobeyed him or questioned him were thrown in those cells and trapped in them.

"Wait. Jesse... those were the people who disappeared. I asked you what happened to them, and you said you didn't know," Lukas realized. He sounded betrayed. His voice was tight and full of sorrow and anger again. "Did you do this to them? I-- I--" Lukas interrogated. His voice broke before he could continue. His head was spinning. Nothing he knew made sense anymore. Or at least that's what Romeo could infer from how lost and full of pain Lukas sounded. Lukas couldn't take it anymore and burst into tears. "You did lock them up! Why?!" Lukas sobbed upon seeing Romeo's guilty expression.

"They were breaking the rules," Romeo managed to say, though his throat had seized up too.

"Like what?! All I've seen and hear people do is not do what you want. Is that a crime to you?" Lukas snapped. He directed a searing glare at Romeo. His hands were balled into fists. "Let them go! Let them go, or I'm going to," Lukas demanded. The fiery determination in Lukas' eyes reminded Romeo of Jesse.