Chapter 8

HARRY

Dipping my head, I gazed at the ground for a moment before looking up towards the camera. The flashes were blinding, but I was used to it now, taking a moment for the photographer to get what he wanted, before relaxing my posture and moving again. I had been through enough promo shoots for my album and tour, as well as magazine covers and the like to have this down to an art form.

The photographer seemed to think so, too.

"Amazing!" he called, the camera clicking away wildly. "Great Harry. Now look away for a moment. Good. Think of your character, and try to channel that vulnerability the fans love. Great! Excellent!"

Click, click, click.

It was the day before we were officially scheduled to begin filming, and the day was filled with the first round of promotional photos. There were two sets erected in the middle of a large studio, ready to capture the first photos that would be sent out to media to prepare them for the show, and also used on social media to whip the fans into a frenzy.

Behind the photographer, people milled about, chatting, moving items and scurrying around doing God knew what. There always seemed to be so many people around, none of which seemed to have any real purpose and I had to wonder why the hell we needed to many bodies all the time. We hadn't even starting filming yet, and it felt crowded.

Turning back towards the camera, I found a familiar pair of blue eyes watching me intently. She was half hidden behind a light stand, seemingly trying to appear casual and not like she had been staring at me. The moment our eyes met, she looked away quickly, pretending to be interested in the equipment around her.

I smirked. Despite her sassy insult a few days before, referencing the fictional take in her novel against my natural personality, I had still noticed Kate watching me more often than not. It was clear she was determined to dislike me, but unable to resist me either. I thought back to the wager between myself and Markus, and smile broadening.

"Good, Harry. Now look down again, then back up."

I followed the photographers instructions, as if I needed to be guided through this medial exercise. When my eyes rose, I looked past the camera and directly towards Kate, giving her my best smoldering glare.

"Excellent! Yes!"

She was like my prey, and I was locked in on her. Her full, beautiful lips were slightly parted, her blue eyes wide, unable to look away from me. Even from where I stood, I could see a flush of color rise in her cheeks. It was endearing, and my smile grew.

Turning my head away, I only released her for a moment, before looking back to her again with a sly smirk. This time, I winked, and her mouth dropped open in surprise. I had to hold back my laugh.

She was entranced by me, and I loved it. This bet was already in the bag, and we hadn't even really started yet.

A movement at her side broke my stare, and I found Hunter coming to her rescue. He presence faded the spell I had her trapped under, as she looked away from me and up to him.

I couldn't help frowning. The skinny wanker was interrupting the chase, and I was trapped in front of this fucking camera, unable to go up and bring her attention back to me. She was smiling up to him now, the previous tension in her shoulders from my attention eased from her body. She laughed at something he said, and I growled in the back of my throat.

"Harry, relax," the photographer called back. "You look like someone stole your toy."

I shot my eyes towards him, scowling at his choice of words. Accurate, however unappreciated.

For the next ten minutes, I struggled between focusing on the job at hand, and shooting daggers towards the pair just beyond the camera. The action wasn't meant for the photos, but it seemed to please the idiot photographer none-the-less. Apparently me being irritated and angry made for good brooding and a 'wounded' look.

Hip-fucking-hooray.

Finally, the photographer at the next set called Hunter away, leaving Kate standing without her protector. I didn't miss the way he reached out and touched her arm before leaving, my jaw clenching in reaction. She was smiling at him like he was her hero, and I almost rolled my eyes, before she looked back to me again.

This time, she found me watching her. But unlike her, I didn't look away embarrassed. I held her gaze fiercely, dipping my chin to look up at her from under my lashes. She paled under my gaze, those blue eyes drinking me in.

"Great! Yes!" Again, the photographer thought the looks were for him. Moron. But I was thankful when he finally released me from promo photo purgatory. "Okay, Harry. We're all done here. Great job!"

Shaking out my arms as I usually did after a shoot, I cracked my neck before moving towards Kate. She fluttered for a moment, looking around frantically for a means of escape, but I was on her before she could run.

I smirked at her. "Like what you see?" I teased, looking down at her.

She tisked in annoyance at my comment, but again her cheeks colored in a delicious way. "You're so egotistical." She replied, looking away as her eyes fell behind me. She was trying not to look at me, and it made me laugh.

"You're the one who was staring at me for the last twenty minutes, Garrett," I answered, crossing my arms. Her eyes darted to my torso, lingering on the way the white Henley clung to my chest. I would have to thank the wardrobe ladies for the choice of outfit.

She frowned as if tasting something unpleasant. "Hardly."

Again, she had no way of denying my accusation. Her eyes kept moving around my periphery, desperate for anything to look at other than my face or body. As I towered over her tiny frame, it was difficult for her, but fun for me to watch her try.

Finally, I decided to leave her be, and thoroughly frustrated.

"Well, I look forward to you 'not' watching me on set tomorrow," I said, turning to walk away. "Your reactions to me are good motivation."

Her mouth dropped open, but I didn't wait for a reply before strolling away. I threw her one last smile, a wave over my shoulder, before escaping towards my trailer.

Chasing Kate Garrett was going to be fun.