CHAPTER 18

"WHERE ON THIS FUCKING EARTH ARE YOU NIGHTINGALE?" I pulled the phone away from my ear nearly dropping it in the process. Rico has taken a liking in calling me Nightingale ever since we played 'house'. He forgot about it for a while but remembered once again, when we were doing homework in my room.

"Jeez, could you keep your voice and your swearing on a low. I'm trying to have my cup of coffee in peace." I told him while occasionally picking at the table cloth.

"YOU WHA—DRINKING COFFEE?! We are WORRIED sick about you. Literally losing all shit and yo—" He was cut off by someone taking the phone out of his hands. Some shuffling could be heard in the background as well as a string curses from Dave, followed by the sound of a smack and a groan.

Well.

"Nathalie." Oh no. I'm in the poop. My mother's voice boomed the other side of the line and she sounded so mad. I could her breathing coming out in short pants. I could imagine her looking pink in the face with anger, her left eye will probably be twitching a bit if she was annoyed and wanted to get violent.

"Yes, mommy." She chuckled on the other side of the line, it wasn't one of her light joyful chuckles that could bring a smile onto anyone's face. It was darkest and most sinister thing that had ever reached my ears. Her child or not, I had a feeling she wouldn't have a problem killing me.

"Don't try that adorable peppa pig accent on me." OK she was beyond furious.

"You weren't in school for nearly the whole day. No one could get a hold of your cell and your location. We thought you were missing for christ sakes! We thought you dead in some ditch, raped and abandoned! Only to find out you are sipping COFFEE!" I flinched at her tone, my mood  deflating at each word.

She had every right to be mad at me.

"Your car is still at school. I checked. So tell me. Where. Are. You. Now." gradually shifting my chair I gulped.

"I'm in Fire and Ice café, near Waterfront." There was more shuffling in the background and my mother's silence scared me more than it should.

I could hear bits and pieces of the conversation in the background

"Calm.... for life.... kill...."

Kyle offered drop me at school so I could fetch my car but I refused and asked him to drop me here at the café. He dropped me and never spared a glance in my direction. After the day we had I expected him to at least say bye.

I just wanted to have time to think and process a whole lot of questions that never seemed to stop popping up in my mind.

I thought about Hayden and his apology. I wondered why Kyle brought me to the cemetery. I mean, I knew he was trying to guide me in making a decision with Hayden— and I'm not going to lie he did help—but it's clear to me his dad and sisters where the closest people he had and bringing me there seemed very.... intimate. In an emotional sense of course. He let me see him vulnerable, he let me in on one of the most tragic parts of his life and I'm grateful he could trust me with that information.

But why?

We aren't the close at all in any sense. This is the most time I have spent with him since grade five when he started out at Odele primary, Hayden and Kathy had already began their reign of terror on me and he joined. The only time he spoke to me was when he hurling insults and calling me out of my name. The only time we were within  arms reach was when he laughed in face about a cruel prank he played at me.

So why me?

Why did he let me see this vulnerable side of him?

Why was he making it hard to hate him?

Why was he making me see this side of him? This broken side that forces me to consider everything?

I blinked at my now cold cup of coffee. There was no way I could get any answers from him, especially with his bipolar attitude. He could act like he doesn't know me tomorrow and then drag me out to cemeteries.

I scoffed.

"NATHALIE!" My mother yelled into the phone. I spaced not paying attention to whatever she was saying. She probably thought I was scoffing at her and I know she wouldn't understand I wasn't. I also know there isn't any point arguing with my mom when she was angry. She screamed at me once more and I replied solemly. I decided whatever punishment I was getting was 'whatever'. I don't give a fuck.

I was just so tired of everything. It doesn't matter how hard I try to remain stress free and let go of the past, it always haunts me.

"Nathalie. Let's go." I looked up saw my father in front me. I must've been thinking a lot to not notice the time or when I put the phone down leaving my mom screaming like a banshee.

"Thomas!" My mom shrieked at the sound of Dad's voice. "Thank God you got her. She wasn't responding to me at all."

"Yeah I got her." He looked at me his face stern,"We in our way home now. Love you." he hung up and gave me my phone.

We didn't say nothing on our drive home and I was okay with it. I knew there would be one hell of a screaming match when we arrive.

I sunk lower in my seat. But honestly, like said before 'it's whatever'.

I couldn't give any more fucks.

###########################

Well... Exams are over. I'm just waiting for the results now and let's say I'm stressed. But I did try my best to do this chapter I hope you enjoyed it ♥

Vote 👇 Vote, c'mon hit the 🌟 😜✌️