Chapter 10: We Lost One

We exchanged places for a while. "We need to rest somewhere." Megan said. Mecca nodded, "There's a rest spot up ahead. We can stop there and relax, we should be safe from harm." I was holding Jade who had a nightmare. She was laying on my chest with her thumb in her mouth. Jasper was laid on my shoulder also sleeping. "Aww look at you. I always pictured you with a family but never as a mother." Mecca laughed. "Don't play asshole." I laughed. Just the thought of these kids changes me. I wouldn't have allowed myself to keep these kids. I always thought they were annoying and a hassle to take care of. Regan had a baby before, we had planned it out about 2 years ago. She gave birth to beautiful baby girl named Kaden. She has the prettiest brown hair with light brown eyes. She looked like me and Regan. She lived up to 3 years old. She died after being hit with a car..Ever since then Regan went on a killing spree.

We arrived at a motel in Salt Lake City, Utah. We were almost home to California, it was about 12  hours away. When we got our room , there was 2 bedrooms with 2 beds each, 2 bathrooms, a kitchen, living room, dining room, and computer room. Mecca decides to set up a camera security system in the computer room. Serenity orders pizza from room service, i laid Jade in the bed as well as Jasper. Megan was watching SpongeBob with Eric, Michelle and Chris. I was helping Mecca set up the system. "What's all this for?" I asked. "So we can see if anyone comes looking for us. I can see them through the lobby. If someone does come looking for us, i'll cut the cord and grab the film. Make a break for it outta this bitch." Mecca laughed. I looked at Mecca, "So your bitch ass gonna leave us here?" Mecca looked at me and said "Hell yeah nigga." I punched her arm as she laughed. "Naah, i'm playin though. You know i wouldnt leave my mans and her kids here."

I mentally rolled my eyes. "Stop saying that yo. Make me sound like some kind of bitch or somethin." "Yeah yeah, I'm just surprised you took them kids in?" Mecca said, plugging up a cord. "What you mean?" I said, handing her a screwdriver. "I mean after that accident with Kaden. You never really took in another child. I wouldn't have thought you'd take in two." "Hey man, i wasn't gonna leave no orphans. That's just messed up besides it's a new life. Regan is dead and gone. I have nothing else i gotta regret." I said, sighing. "I mean i guess but, you got their safety in your hands now. You cant allow them to get taken back, they're only 6 years old." Mecca pointed out. "Man, i know this. I ain't gonna let nothing happen to my kids." I said, rounding up the cords. "That's a good mom." Mecca teased. "Chill the fuck out." I warned her.

The pizza came and at this time, Jade and Jasper were up. They sat on the floor eating a small slice of cheese pizza. "You want a slice?" Serenity asked me. "Yea, can you get me pepperoni?" I said, pulling my hat down. Serenity brought me a plate and sat in my lap. "So what do you think of your new kids?" Serenity said, in almost a whisper tone. "They cool for real and little man he somehing man. Jade reminds me of my first daughter Kaden." I smiled, looking at the twins. Jade brushing her hair back out of her face getting pizza sauce in her hair. It was so cute. "Kaden?" Serenity asked. "Yeah, me and Regan had a baby together. She died at 3." I said, eating my pizza. "Damn, i'm sorry." Serenity apologized. "No need to apologize. Kaden is in heaven chillin with God. She in good hands." I shrugged. Serenity laid he head on my shoulder, "I wanna help you with the twins." I looked at her and smiled sweetly. "One step at a time. You not my girlfriend so i don't trust you around my kids." I said, rubbing my head.

Later on that night, I ran the twins some bath water. i stayed in the bathroom and washed them up. "Daddy, are we going home?" Jade said, playing with a rubber duck. I washed her hair and smiled. "Yes baby girl, Daddy is taking you guys home so that you wont ever have to be in a horrible place like that." I said, rinsing her off. She smiled at me and continued playing. "You're next, Jasper." I motioned to him. He walked over to me and handed me the soap. I scrubbed him down and rinsed him off. "Sit down so i can wash your hair." I smiled. He did as he was told and started playing in Jade's hair. "Daddy, we would go to school right?" he asked, looking up at me. "Mmm, maybe after i get you two settled in at home." I said, grabbing the shampoo. I poured a nickle size in my hand and began to message his hair. Looking at Jade, she really reminded me of Kaden. Kaden used to always play with her rubbed ducky. "Okay, lets get out of the tub." I said, getting the towel.

They both huddled into the towel. I bought them some clothes while we were in town. After they got dressed, i led them to bed. I knew Serenity was waiting for me but, i decided not to go. Instead, i stayed with the twins. I laid inbetween them with Jade on the right and Jasper on the left. We slept.. I was woken up by Serenity shaking me. "Nicole Nicole!!" She shook me. I rubbed my eyes, "What?" "We gotta go now! There's a group of men looking for us!" When she said that, i shot up and shook the twins. "Daddy.." Jade whined. "Come on, we gotta go babies. Grab your bags." The twins bolted outta bed and did as they were told. Mecca cut th cords to the camera and grabbed the tape as Serenity gathered the children. Megan gave us our guns and we all clicked them. Mecca opened the door and led us to the stairwell. Serenity and Megan took the kids down in the front. Mecca and I covered the back. We all ran down the steps until we got to the ground level. We got to the garage and ran straight for the car. I made sure every child got in until i noticed Eric was missing. Mecca and i ran back up. We found him on the ground on the 3rd floor step. He twisted his ankle. "Help me." He cried. As soon as i stepped, shots were being fired.

We took cover and made sure Eric was still in sight. "Crawl to us, Eric." Mecca cried. Eric laid flat on his stomach and tried to crawl to us. He was struggling bad with his ankle being twisted. He was crying and it was too much to watch. "Damnit, i'm going in." I said, bolting to him. Mecca covered my back, as soon as i got to Eric. I stood him up and threw him on my shoulder and started running for the stairs with Mecca behind me. We ran down the stairs and go to the garage. The car was gone. "What the fuck?!" Mecca yelled. I looked around and saw Serenity in the driver's seat motioning me. "There!" I yelled but i was interrupted by a bullet that flew by. I ducked and then ran for the car with Mecca in front of me. Good thing me and Mecca ran track. Eric was groaning in pain. All i could think about was making it to the car. It was straight ahead and i was so close until a pain shot through my leg causing me to fall. "Daddy!!!" I heard faintly. I looked at my leg and i was hit. Shit.

I brushed off the pain and grabbed Eric. I tried to run for the car but instead i was only limping. "Mecca!" I called. This is why i call her my best friend. Mecca ran from out the car to my side so fast i didnt realize she grabbed Eric. She threw my arm over her  shoulder and ran me to the car. I got in the passenger seat as Mecca got in the car with Eric in the middle. Serenity drove off but now we where being followed and shot at. Megan turned around and started firing her gun then Mecca. The kids were ducking in front of the seat, holding their ears. I bought myself to turn around out of my seat and started shooting. We were going 120 mph and there was just the sounds of guns being shot. Think Nicole Think. I had to come up with something fast. So i grabbed the rocket launcher from the back seat and aimed it at the car. "Get down!" I commanded as both Mecca and Megan ducked. I was standing on the chair with my feet dug in the chair for support. I aimed the launcher one last time then pulled the trigger. The whole car blew up in flames. I sat down in my chair, we all were cheering.

"Uhh Nicole." I heard Mecca say behind me. I turned around an saw the twins sitting with terrified faces along with Michelle. Megan was covering her mouth in tears. The smile on my face was wiped off my face. "Damnit." Mecca hit the car. Eric had a bullet through his chest and bled out. There was blood over the twins hands and Michelle. I cussed and laid my head on the car. "We lost one..." I whispered. We pulled over and laid Eric in the field. The twins put flowers around his body, Michelle folded his arms over his stomach, Serenity and Megan kissed his forehead. Mecca and I stood there for a second then touched his head then turned to leave. I had forgot the pain in my leg and limped back to the car. We drove off in silence and not a word was spoken. We lost one..Rest in peace Eric. I'm sorry, i promised you freedom and i failed you..