I couldn't help but smile and whisper "I love you, Y/N."

I then felt her lips on mine, and I found it nice that words didn't always have to be said when it comes to moments like these... or her. We could still know exactly what we both thought and wanted.

And I knew I wanted to spend my life with her.

"I love you too, Connor," Y/N sighed with a smile, her hands clasped behind my neck. "I can't wait to marry you."

•••

Every plain step down the hallway echoed in my ear. It was the first day out of school out of how many damn days, and I couldn't even make it through homeroom without getting singled out.

I felt like a ticking time bomb with every fucking step from one room to the next. I angrily clenched my jaw, as if it could help me avoid the time I would eventually explode.

I needed to get high.

I stopped near a set of lockers as I dug through my bag looking for what I needed. That's when I froze, hearing a voice near me. Directed to me.

"Hey Connor, loving the new hair length! Very school shooter chic."

Perfect. Fucking great.

Slowly, I lifted my head to find Jared Klienman, looking all fucking proud of himself. Once I did, I felt my anger rise to the surface, threatening to spill.
He cleared his throat as if nothing had happened. "I was kidding, it was a joke."

This is it. This is when I explo-

Another voice, completely different. "That joke wasn't very funny. Fuck off, Jared."

I was caught off guard as I heard those words. Surprised, I stared at the her as she walked closer to us. "Yea, was here the whole time."

"Y/N," Jared began, tilting his head. "I thought you had a sense of humor."

Y/N crossed her arms as she replied, "I don't go around telling people they look like a school shooter."

She seemed almost embarrassed for all of a sudden interfering but at the same time, almost disgusted with everything Jared had said. I wasn't surprised.

I still didn't understand... Why me? Why stick up for a freak?

I was pretty convinced Y/N was trying to be a good samaritan or some shit, taking pity on me and stuff.

I took a breath as quietly as I could as Jared walked away, no longer paying attention to what he had to say. The other kid in the cast quickly went away as well. What the hell was the point in all of this?

That Y/N girl, though, she stayed.

"He can be a total ass," she began, a calmness in her voice. She was talking to me normally. Y/N pointed to me. "Connor, right?"

It seemed like she didn't care who I was, like she wasn't constantly fed so many rumors that she started to believe them. It happened enough that I was scared I was gonna believe them myself.

"Yea," I agreed hesitantly, refusing to meet her eyes.

And then the unexpected happened.