FIFTY-THREE

You

"Hurry!"

Zoe quickly put the fire out as soon as we all felt a raindrop. The rest of us took care of the supplies and other things.

We ran inside once everything wasn't on the wrong side of the glass door. At that point, the thunder roared and the rain fell heavily. We were all pretty close to the door, so we were able to get everything outside.

Needless to say, checking the weather was a good idea.

"Shit," Zoe quickly reached into the back pockets of her jeans as we stood around in the kitchen. "Where's my phone?"

My eyes widened. "Zoe, you didn't leave it out did you..."

"I'm messing with you." Her expression was replaced by a goofy smile as she whipped out her phone with an aesthetically pleasing case. It reminded me of one of her many Instagram aesthetics.

Connor ruffled his wet hair. "Jesus Zoe, Mom would've killed you."

I turned to him. "You can just put it in uncooked rice, y'know. It'll soak up the water and stuff." Obviously, it was a common method everyone knew about, but the Murphy's didn't seem to. "Nevermind, Zoe's phone is fine anyway."

"Well, you know what's not fine?" Zoe glanced behind her and back.

I snorted. "My social life?"

"What?" She shook it off. I could see Connor smile and mutter a 'me' under his breath as he looked down at his nails. They were painted but chipped again. "No, the living room! It looks like a hurricane hit it!"

"Hey Zoe, your 'mom' mode is activated again." Her brother teased. He stuck his tongue out at her as soon as she glared at him.

"Hey," I pointed at him, raising an eyebrow. "We all said that we were gonna clean and fix it."

So we got to it. I was on the lookout for any more bugs that Connor and Evan haven't run into yet. I just hoped the house didn't have a history of a lot of bug infestations, and wondered if the Murphys even bothered to take care of it or not.

Wrappers were thrown away, the furniture was moved back to where they were supposed to, and Evan offered the clean the coffee table.
It was looked just about the same as when we walked in for the first time, and everybody seemed a lot more comfortable.

Later on, since we decided we didn't have a lot to do while it was raining out, we all decided to relax with some leftovers and watch a movie.

And I was not complaining!

•••

Shifting a little and adjusting my blanket to get more comfortable, my tear-filled eyes kept on the screen. We've all watched The Fault in our Stars before in middle school or something, but it still hit me as much as the next person.

It actually got to everyone in the living room. Zoe was flat out sobbing but still managed to look okay unlike me. She was a pretty crier. Evan kept half of his wet face in a tissue and was huddled in a blanket with his girlfriend, seeming very embarrassed.

Connor had his arm loosely around me, but his glossy eyes stayed fixed on the screen. Every time a tear even threatened to fall he blinked and wiped them away at the speed of light. I intertwined my fingers with his as he just gave up and let them fall.

"You need a tissue?" I asked as Zoe passed the box to me.

Connor shook his head and sniffled. After returning to instantly wiping his falling tears away again, he acted like he never cried at all.