FIFTEEN

You

2nd Grade

"Connor sweetie- Hey, what are you doing?"

The short haired boy was fuming. He marched over to the wooden desk that belonged to the teacher and eyed the printer. Most of us were itching to go out to recess, but I wanted to see what would happen. Was I really the one who noticed?

"Connor, what are you doing? We have to go out to the playground now, you are holding the class up."

All the kids stared at Connor as he lifted the big printer with his lanky arms, anger filling up his eyes.

The whole thing ended with a fuming Connor on the curb and a broken printer. Minus the printer, it was a normal recess for him. Every day, he would just sit on the side. Sometimes he would have a book, and half the time it would be a book I know. He didn't notice me as I stared at him from the metal swing set. I wanted to go up to him and just talk to him.

Why? Why did I want to talk to this one particular person?

I would have never thought that someone would be mad enough to throw a printer.

8th Grade

A group of adolescent boys stood by the lockers as they snickered at the slightly taller one from a distance.

"Hey look, it's printer boy."

"Is he growing out his hair?"

"Rumor has it he can afford any drug he wants because his dad is a rich-ass lawyer."

"God, what a gay freak."

I walked over and kicked one of them in the ankle. A proud feeling came over me as they looked at me, shocked and in disbelief.

"That's not very nice, assholes." I crossed my arms confidently.

•••

I guess you could say I stood up for printer boy in 8th grade. Years later, I'm confessing my love to him after hitting my head on an empty bag of chips. This all happened because I invited Connor to eat lunch with me at the side of the school. Who knows what would've happened if I didn't?

I wouldn't be falling in love with my best friend, that's for sure.

His eyes widened as I replied with "Yea."

I smiled at Connor's shocked reaction. "Wait- What? You, you uh.."

I had to laugh at his stuttering.

Connor sighed. "How?"

Sitting up, I asked "What do you mean 'how'? I like you a lot, Connor."

He sat up as well and ran his fingers through his hair. "I mean, I'm just surprised that you feel that way." Connor chuckled as he fiddled with the blanket. "Out of everyone, I can't believe you feel that way about me. You're so.. awesome. And amazing, and I can keep going. I just don't know if you can say the same for me."

"Connor.. don't-"

"When I told you how I felt, I was expecting you to want to just stay friends. I'm just saying, maybe.."

I interrupted him this time, and I wasn't going to let him do the same to me again. "Don't, Connor. Don't say that you're not good enough, and don't say I shouldn't be with you."

"I don't know.."

"So you're allowed to like me, but I'm not allowed to like you?" I say jokingly while nudging his arm. He loosely dropped his hands down on the blanket and just stared at them.