FORTY-SIX

Connor

Everything and everyone was a mess.

Boxes of random snacks, crumbs, wrappers, lids, a dead body probably, you name it. It was all around us in the living room, with no mercy for the rug. Zoe's playlist was in the background blaring from the TV. I knew it was hers because of the indie shit on there.

Now you might be wondering why we're all acting like slap-happy messy haired wrecks. The answer is that we don't know, but everything would probably be a lot worse if I had taken out the weed.

But I didn't want to face hell from anyone.

It was just like a typical chaotic sleepover.
During the past couple hours since we got here, we had gone through precisely four rounds of Clue, finished three snack boxes, and replayed everyone's playlist about two times.

Evan also crushed everyone at chess. It was kinda scary actually. Like, he was good.

He concentrated, blinked, and then moved his chess piece across the board, knocking the other king out of the square.

"HOW?" I asked, slamming my elbow on the table and wincing afterward. "Why were you not part of the chess club?"

Evan put on a sheepish but proud grin. "I guess.. I don't know. I just, um, like really never had the time to. Clubs aren't um, they aren't really my thing."

Zoe, who was sprawled out on the floor next to Y/N, said, "Connor, I think you're just bad a chess."

"Fuck off," I said sarcastically as I helped her boyfriend put the pieces back on the chessboard. "Y/N, you're next so you can go ahead."

She quickly sat up with wide eyes. "Nope."

"Why?"

"Um, did you not remember what Evan did to you guys? He absolutely crushed you all. I'm not ready for that, man."

"You're dramatic, you know that?" I laughed, ruffling her hair as she glared at me.

Zoe sat up too, brushing the hair out of her face. "Can you blame her? Evan's really good."

"Geez, If- If you're scared of me then you must be scared of your own shadow." Evan jokingly chuckled as he fiddled with a pawn chess piece.
The rest of us stared at him in silence and in shock.

Did Evan-fucking-Hansen just..

He caught our glimpses and his eyes widened. The color seemed to drain from his face a little. "Oh my god I- wow I'm sorry I just, I didn't really mean it that way. That was like so rude, I- I'm sorry.."

"Well then," I said in a dull tone, dragging out the 'n'.

"Evan, you've like never said anything like that before," Y/N said, surprised.

"I know," He hugged the throw pillow that was on his lap. "I don't ever say stuff like that."

Zoe chuckled as she dusted cookie crumbs off of a surface. "I mean, you're not wrong, Ev."

We turned to her now. "Wait, whats that supposed to mean?" Evan asked.

My sister's eyes met mine, and then she glanced back at Evan.

"Well, did I ever tell you guys about what happened to Connor when we were like six or seven?" Zoe said it so excitedly it was sickening.

I knew this was going somewhere.
"Oh my god Zoe no-"

That slap-happy bitch thought what I was saying was encouraging because then she confidently said, "Long story short, he nearly shit his pants during a laser tag game because he was like the only one out in the open," As she held her stomach while dying of laughter, I chucked two pillows at her. "You had to be there!" Zoe continued.

"SHUT UP!"

"Dropped his later shooter thingy and all that-"

Frustrated as hell, I caught the pillows she then through at me with a smirk on her face. I snapped my head back at
Y/N. "You're enjoying this, aren't you?!"

"Oh very much so, yes," Y/N grinned like an idiot.

"Okay, you know what?" I caught another pillow, "Zoe—" Another one, "Wet the bed—TWICE— in a sleepover."

She froze.

Ah, there's that familiar firetruck face I know.

"You asshole!"

"Right back at you." I quickly swung to the side as Zoe threw a pillow in my direction. Instead, it came in contact with the chessboard. And the pieces didn't stand a chance.

"Connor!" Zoe exclaimed.

"Oh I'm sorry," I sarcastically
fake-pouted before glaring at her. "I'm not aware that we were playing a fucking game of catch!"

"Hey! Just be lucky they were plastic," Y/N interrupted us. helping Evan in gathering some of the chess pieces. Her head then quickly lifted with pure excitement.
"Oh! By the way, the cookies are ready."

Oh yea, we made cookies.

We all pulled ourselves up from the floor and seemed to forget how to use our legs.

With a smile, Zoe pulled out white and red striped oven mitts and handed them to her boyfriend. "Would you like to do the honors?"

"W-What?"

I hopped up and sat on the marble counter, fiddling with the sink faucet. "Listen dude, you won against everyone in chess, so it's only fitting."

Evan hesitated before taking the mitts. "I don't see why not."
A small smile appeared on his face as he slid the two trays out, filling the room with the smell of fresh baked cookies.

"Holy shit," Y/N quickly closed and turned off the oven. "We actually didn't burn the fucking house down!" She said rather excitedly. I looked down and chuckled softly as I remembered what she told me about an earlier baking experience.

"That'd be unfortunate," Zoe slid around the excess kitchen space in her socks like a child. "We wouldn't be able to eat the cookies. Or the extra cookie dough in the fridge. It would just be a waste of the batter." She then stumbled but grabbed ahold of the counter.

Is she only like this when Mom and Dad aren't around?

"Yea, but I guess that means we're being proper adults," I said, brushing off the thought and hopping off the counter. "Besides, we could just roast marshmallows over the fire and make s'mores and shit."

Evan, who was leaning against the counter near the fridge, scratched his hair. "I don't remember the last time I've had a s'more-"

I lifted my head and stared towards him. "Oh, we'll get there dude," I chuckled. "I promise you."

"Mom would hate this," Zoe laughed, now spinning around on a nearby barstool.

I thought again. Yea, she's only like this when they aren't around.

"Well Mom isn't here now, is she?" I commented back.

"Let's grab these cookies already and find a movie," Y/N suggested.

Then we all groaned when we realized we had to wait for them to cool down.

A/N: yeeEeEeEeeEEeeEeEEEE

i have this headcanon where evan is like good at chess. (as portrayed in this chapter) like when his dad left, he left a chess set at evan's house and he just started teaching himself chess in his free time.

aw and if heidi was off work he would sometimes play with her and stuff

ahhh i love chess master evan.

hope you enjoyed this one :))