SIXTY-ONE

You

I let out a sigh of relief when the bell rang. If another sleep-inducing word came out of the teacher's mouth beforehand I wouldn't be able to survive that class. It didn't help that I got less than eight hours of sleep last night. I probably didn't sleep at all, with what was going on downstairs.

The contrasting sounds of the cafeteria will probably wake me up, I thought, slinging my backpack over my shoulder.

As soon as I stepped out of the room, two girls and a couple of guys found their way to me. They were also freshmen.

I prayed that there was someone else behind me and they were just waiting for them. However, this also could be my chance to make some kind of friend or at least an acquaintance.

"Can I help you?" I slowly and awkwardly asked as I stopped in front of them.

The girl with long brown hair crossed her arms. "I think you're in my math class, right?"

I recognized her, so most likely. "Maybe," I said shrugging. If she was gonna be only one talking, why did she need the other people behind her?

"So you did the homework?"

The school was infamous for giving seemingly copious amounts of homework as early as the first week. It didn't matter if you were a young freshmen or an experienced senior.

I reached into my pocket for my phone just in case I needed an excuse to make an exit if this went too far in any way, shape, or form. "Uh, yea. I'm pretty sure."

She snickered quietly while glancing behind her at what looked like her boyfriend, who returned a smirk. If her hair was longer, it would've swept over my face probably. She turned back to me.

"Where is it?"

She sounded as desperate as a client asking for crack.

"Why do you need to know?" I asked.

"I'll pay if you let us see it." Ah, I see where this is going. They obviously didn't do it, and I didn't want to have to deal with this right now.

"Yea, no thanks," I shook my head and walked right past them, starting my way down the hall. I didn't bother to check if they were following me, but all I heard was a "Hey!" and a "The hell?"

I hated myself for being so easily trusting.

I turned on my phone and stared at the time. I had about less than fifteen minutes to eat a lunch, and it was not gonna be in the cafeteria where they were. Or anyone. Paying attention to my dad's reminder was going to have to wait.

I stopped in front of a door in a hallway that was slowly being cleared out. Looking around cautiously, I pushed it open. I was outside, and the door shut before any more sunlight got in.

Looking around, I realized I was on the side of the school. I expected other people to be here, like hardcore stoners or other people making deals relating to homework. But it was just me. The ground was lined with a mix of dusty gravel and little sprouts of grass.

While kicking some pebbles, I leaned up against the brick wall and slowly slid down to sit. This reminded me too much of the area below near my bedroom window. For this, though, I didn't have to climb a ladder, luckily.

I already liked this place.

•••

To give my ears a break, I took out my earbuds and turned off my phone for a bit. After all, I needed the battery to survive the airport and flight. I leaned my head against the window and observed the passing cars beside us.