SEVENTEEN

You

•••
4th grade

"That's a good book." I said as I looked down at the boy with the spider-man shirt on the curb. Connor lowered his book and eyed me. "I've read it before. What chapter are you on?" I asked. He went back to looking at the book.

"Go away."

"I'm just wondering what-"

"I don't want you spoiling it for me!" he almost yelled as I quickly looked down at my small shoes.

Frowning, I said "I'm not gonna spoil it for you. I don't like spoilers and I would never spoil anything for anyone." Connor glanced at me again and his eyes softened. I could hear him mutter a "thanks" under his breath.

"Sorry for being annoying." I smiled and shrugged and walked back to the swings. Before I left, he glanced at me again before paging through his book.

•••

"Hey Y/N?"

I stopped zoning out and focused on the worksheet again. "Crap, sorry." My voice was raspy and Alana looked at me with concern. "We're on the last two pages, right?" I asked.

"You know, I think we should take a break." she suggested as she set her textbook down. I stared at her a little shocked because Alana Beck never takes a break from work.

"We're only on the last two pages, we can finish it pretty quick." I insisted on finishing the homework. She shook her head and took the pencil out of my hand. "Hey-"

"You're sick. I do work when I'm sick too, but I usually rest. You should really rest too."

"Okay, mom." I coughed as I sunk down under the blanket that was covering me. Alana looked around.

"Do your parents know that I'm here? I don't want to come in uninvited."

"No."

Alana's eyes widened. "So no one is here to take care of you?"

"I can take care of myself, and my dad should be here in about an hour anyway." I explained as I got up and walked to the kitchen like a zombie. The cold floor made me shiver a bit.

"Watcha doing?" Alana asked.

"Making some hot chocolate." I answered. "You can make some of your own you want, I don't wanna get you sick." I paused, "You probably will get sick since you're here right now."

"The doctor said I have a good immune system, so I think I'm good." Alana chuckled as she put her finished papers in a neat pile.

I sunk back into the couch and took a sip. I breathed a breath of relief as the warmth soothed my throat. We started working on the homework again and ended up finishing only the math worksheet and two other worksheets from other classes. A buzz from Alana's phone caught her attention and she grabbed it. She looked back up at me and gathered her things quickly. "I'm sorry Y/N, I have to go."

"That's oka-"

"I have to help with some errands. I'm really sorry."

I chuckled and dropped my pencil on the table. "It's fine Alana."

"Hope you get better." She finished gathering her stuff and opened the door.

"Thanks." I yawned. "See you."

She gave me a small smile before leaving out the door. I lazily reached for the remote and turned on the tv for some kind of show. It didn't matter since I was probably going to zone out again. I flipped to a channel that was showing a documentary about the Black Plague and made myself comfortable on the couch.