58; the art of letting go

Start from the beginning

"Well, then, let me ask you this: are you willing to fight for it every day?"

Arthur fell completely silent, and he averted his eyes away from Cain with a twitch of his jaw. Even though he wouldn't look at his best friend, Cain could read the answer from his eyes alone.

Cain abruptly stood up when Arthur swiftly slung his duffel bag on his shoulder, decided not to participate in the conversation any longer. Heading for the main door of the apartment, Arthur swivelled his attention all around.

It was like a methodical action when one would leave a house for good. When he'd come back, he was going to live someplace else that would help him in turning a new leaf.

He needed a clean start.

"So now what? You're just gonna ignore me?"

Arthur pivoted on his heels, arching his eyebrow. Cain made a misstep in surprise, scowling when Arthur twitch his lips in amusement. "You know I only ignore people I care about – "

Cain crossed his arms. "– which is a bizarre portrayal of yours; but thanks, I totally know what you mean." Then another silence slipped through between them. Cain had an arbitrary liking towards nodding when in awkward situations and this was one of them. "I'm gonna miss you, buddy."

They gave each other a brotherly hug, and Arthur tightened his lips into a line as he looked beyond the hall. "Me, too, man." He clapped his friend on the back before backing away. "Don't be stupid while I'm not around."

"Stupid, huh? Look who's talking."

Arthur chuckled, shaking his head in a breezy manner and finally wrenched the door open. Closing the door shut behind him, he took a deep breath and stared beyond the horizon, haphazardly readjusting his skullcap on his head. The sun was setting but there were buses 24/7 so he could have all the time in the world.

And so it began.

﹏﹏﹏﹏﹏﹏﹏﹏﹏﹏

Owen was blissful beyond words as he drove to the secret place he was telling Paige about. They had just finished meeting up with their wedding planner and he'd practically dragged her out of the restaurant, much to the planner's amusement.

"Where're we going?" Paige asked with a chuckle, even when in confusion. "I thought we're not going to keep secrets from each other."

Owen smirked, slanting a quick, crafty  look her way. "You almost got me there. But, no. This one's different. It's basically not a secret; it's a surprise, so, I'm going to have to stick to my guns, potato."

She huffed, crossing her arms. "You're so annoying."

He laughed, felt his heart hurting from her mere reaction that he had to reach for her chin and shake it randomly.

Fifteen minutes to uptown Bradbury and they finally reached Rivera Heights, unbeknownst to Paige, as this was her first time coming into the exclusive residential property.

Owen soon cut short near in front of a big white farmhouse, immediately turning off the ignition to go out of the car and open Paige's door.  He held her hand gingerly as she stepped out, clutching her white dress so as not to drag it across the ground as she did so.

"Are we visiting a friend?" She gazed up at the wooden mansion, lines etching the center of her eyebrows.

"Not really," Owen glanced up at the house first before shrugging, "but I do have something to show you."

"Oh," she jutted her bottom lip out, her chin askew at Owen when he suddenly turned her in the other direction, "okay...?"

Owen tilted up a smile, staring down at her. He let out a chuckle when she still latched her eyes to him in sheer oblivion. He then jerked his chin towards the opposite house, and then her eyes followed just as he turned his attention back to the zen house meters away from them.