22; the promise

twentytwo

the promise

"NOW THAT LOLA'S back."

"Are you out of your mind?" Aoife asked incredulously, widening her eyes at Arthur. "You can't just do that, Arthur. What about Paige?"

Paige weaved her eyebrows in confusion as she found Arthur and Aoife having a hushed conversation. The unfamiliar name left a burning mark in her mind, but, even with the curiosity gnawing inside her gut, it was something she didn't have the right to hear. But she'd turned round as soon as she heard her name.

She wasn't supposed to be there. After Owen and her went around the front side of the mansion and she'd returned to the gazebo by the pool−while Owen looked for another alcohol to drown himself into−she strode back into the mansion. Several minutes had passed then and Arthur hadn't turned up by the poolside so she came in searching for him.

And this was what she'd found.

Lurking just a little bit by the doorway, she stood there in the dark hall with the purpose of being unseen. They were inside the library and they'd switched one light on, bathing the room in an ethereal yet gothic glow.

Arthur simply shrugged as a response, his side profile not betraying any emotion she could decipher. "I need to talk to her. I'm sure Paige won't mind."

Paige sewn her eyes shut, letting out a breath before gathering her courage to finally step into the library. "What's going on?"

They snapped their heads, both wearing utterly surprised looks.

Aoife blinked. "Paige."

She neared to them, unable to school her face into a neutral one. If she'd be somehow involved into something, she had to know. "Who's Lola?"

With this, Arthur's demeanor visibly resigned because he exhaled a deep breath like he'd been holding it for so long, his shoulders descending heavily. Not long afterwards, he regained his composure again and clenched his jaw.

"Aoife, can you give us a second, please?" he requested politely.

"But..."

Paige nodded at her. She seemed frozen because she remained in her spot as though she mustn't leave Paige alone with a monster.

But after seconds or so, she refrained a sigh and gave off a tight smile, then shot a meaningful look at Arthur. He nonchalantly kept his eyes leveled to hers but tipped his chin up. As if he was daring her to say anything that would both be their downfall.

But Aoife immediately stalked away, leaving them in the room in a heavily strained silence.

"The night is young, Arthur. I have time," she said in a patient manner.

"Okay." He sighed. "Lola−is my ex-girlfriend," he said carefully, searching Paige's face. And when her expression didn't change, Arthur nodded as if he understood it was fine to carry on. But Paige didn't tell him how much it actually hurt and just brushed it off for now since she needed to hear his explanation. "Cain, her, and I−we were this trio back in Rockstring. We've been on and off up until I moved here in Bradbury. Before I got into a relationship with you..." he made a downcast glance, and the tremor in his voice seemed to suggest it was tough for him to even say her name, let alone lay their backstory bare, "I was a complete wreck when she decided to leave. Some people think we're inseparable. But I realized, when the going gets tough, that's where you see if people care enough. Said she loved me but she left anyway..."