21; the deluxe dinner

n o t e

hey, loves. just want to give you a heads up that this chapter will be longer than usual. pretty long that some original scenes would be in the next chapter, next update.

hope you enjoy, & please don't forget to comment and vote. it really means a lot to me x

sky

﹏﹏﹏﹏﹏﹏﹏﹏﹏﹏﹏﹏

—twentyone—

the deluxe dinner

THE DRESS HUGGED Paige's svelte frame like a glove.

In front of the mirror she stood, her features staring back at her in the mirror fragmentally wincing at the pain in her midsection. Aoife finally fastened the zipper up before she sidestepped behind her with a face swelling with pride.

"Your grandma will keep schtum this time and just give you an affirmative stare once she sees you," said Aoife, as Paige pored at her eyes in the mirror. "You look lovely as ever."

Paige lit up a subdued smile at her. Silently, she dragged her attention down her dress. It was an a-line designed silk in wine red, with an off-shoulder style that complimented her clavicle and the balls of her shoulders. Her hair was coiffed into a classic chignon as wisps of brown curls strayed down at the sides of her face; and while she'd wear a simple leather-strapped watch on most occasions, now she had teardrop earrings, a dainty necklace with a tiny circle pendant sat below her collarbone, her watch now long gone in favor of her golden Cartier love bangle. Down below, a classic pair of Saint Laurent's black ankle-strap sandals graced her feet.

"Thank you, Aoife," said Paige, at last, after having immersed herself with how she looked. Not only was she keen on having Isolde's approval, but she also wanted to doll up for Arthur Huxley−whom she'd particularly figured as someone spruce, although not to the point of being a fop. In some way, her reflection assuaged the anxiety bursting forth from the ends of her nerves. "What time is it?"

"We still have thirty minutes before seven. D'you wanna come down now?" she asked in concern.

Aoife had gotten very busy with juggling her tasks as a servant and as her watcher. And although Isolde instructed her to keep tabs on Paige for the mean time, she didn't like to leave the others setting up by themselves−even though they'd just arrived from the hospital not even two hours earlier, making them both preoccupied with the aftereffects of being in one. It was like the place had made them weak somehow, leaving them as two bags of stress thrown into a flustered place upon stepping back into the mansion.

But she wanted to wait and welcome Arthur herself. This would be more like his official entry into the mansion, even though he'd been here for a few times before. After deciding to step out of the room, they both found themselves descending one of the double staircases before reaching the foyer.

She located the front room left side of the antechamber and took a load off on one of the cream-colored sofas, while Aoife settled in going to the kitchen to help the other servants. Feeling like she'd been sitting there for too long, she picked up her phone to check if Arthur had replied to one of her messages.

Letting out a queasy sigh, she placed it down next to her when Arthur remained silent. What if he doesn't come?

But, as if to invalidate the idea, the loud creaking of the main doors made her look up, just as she heard muffled voices echoing across the hall. She quickly made her way to the antechamber, only to see their butler standing right by the entrance, doing a slight bow even before the guest walked in.