19. Dessert ~ EMMETT

"So

"So."

"So."

"Are we dating now?"

Jamie shrugged, before looking around the diner like an innocent bystander. "Are we?"

"Fuck you."

He slowly started grinning and I already knew what he was going to say before he said it. "We already did that."

I groaned and dropped my head on the table.

"No, wait, Emmett..."

For a moment, nothing happened, but then I felt Jamie's hand picking up my own hand and turning it around so he could slide his inside and intertwine our fingers, and I looked up to see him giving me a small smile. "Hey, I like you."

"But... when did that happen?"

Just two months ago, it was all Kenny this, Kenny that, and now he was pushing me into changing rooms and stripping me naked so he could shove my sausage down his throat. He fucking did that. Out of nowhere. Don't get me wrong, I wasn't complaining, but why?

He shrugged again.

"So this is not just, like... you know?"

"No," he said immediately, shaking his head. I wasn't surprised that I didn't have to explain what I meant. He knew exactly what I was referring to, of course. Or rather, whom I was referring to. "I'm never doing that again. No more casual bullshit. I want the real deal or nothing."

"Okay, we're on the same page then," I said, before lifting his hand up to my lips and kissing the back, right in between a pair of freckles, which made him roll his eyes and smile reluctantly. When he pulled his hand back, I admitted, "It's just that... I genuinely thought you didn't want to date."

He blinked in surprise. "Wait, were you actually, like... waiting?"

"No, I didn't—I mean, honestly, I was just..."

"Mm-hmm." He was trying, and failing, to hide a smile behind his hands...

"Shut up," I groaned. "Look, I've always thought you were cute, okay? But you were, like, with Kenny or whatever, so I was fine with being friends, and I didn't realize that... that I actually liked you until now, I guess. And I fucking hate Phyllis for seeing it way before I did."

"The irony," he chuckled.

"Yeah, we're not telling her a single thing, by the way."

"Oh my God—" His eyes suddenly started twinkling and he reached across the table to grab my hands again. "Let's see how long it takes her to notice!"

With a wicked laugh, I replied, "I like the way you think, James."

"Yes, I'm a genius, but don't call me that," he said, pulling a disgusted face.