Chapter 18

My heart is racing.

I take a deep breath, trying to slow it down, but it doesn't help much and the anxious shakes start kicking in. 'You can do this.' I assure my reflection.

I keep repeating those words over and over in my head, hoping that if I do it enough, maybe I'll believe them at some point. Running my fingers through my hair and smoothing down my clothes, I try to calm myself down.

I shouldn't be this nervous, I'm just going to his house after all. We decided that dinner and a movie at his place would be a good plan, something laid back and private so that we could get to know each other.

The weather is slowly but surely getting warmer, so I'm wearing a white off-the-shoulder top, a denim skirt, and a pair of white sneakers. I straightened my hair and put on a little makeup, just mascara and some lip gloss, trying to keep a casual look. I don't want to seem like I'm trying too hard to impress him, although I definitely am.

Closing my eyes I take one last deep breath, telling myself that if I don't head out now I'll stay here all day. When I reach the bottom of the stairs I hear my mom in the kitchen and go over there to say goodbye.

"So, what do you think?" I ask, giving her a little spin.

"Oh honey, you look lovely!" She responds. "Aren't you going to put something over it though?"

Moms will be moms.

"I'm taking a cardigan in case it gets cold," I assure her.

"You look beautiful, but why are you so dolled up?" she asks casually chopping up some vegetables, "Do you have any special plans with Tyler?" she says, asking the question I hoped she wouldn't.

"Actually...I'm going on a date," I confess, taking a seat at the kitchen island on the stool across from her.

"A date?" She turns around with wide eyes. "That's wonderful! With whom?" she priess.

"His name is Noah. He goes to my school." I try to give as little information as possible.

"Noah," she repeats with a smile, trying the name out for herself, "You seem tense though, honey," she points out, "Everything okay?"

"I'm just nervous I guess." I shrug.

"Well, are you sure about him?" she asks worriedly.

I'm not, but I'm not going to tell her that.

"He's got quite the reputation, but I'm starting to think maybe he's not as bad as people make him out to be. He's very sweet to me, and he was very determined to get me to go out with him. I figured I should give him the benefit of the doubt."

"That seems like a good idea," she says coming up to me and combing through my hair with her fingers, "You shouldn't judge based on other people's opinions, you have to make up your own. You never know, he might surprise you."

"Thanks, mom," I say, taking in her advice. "Alright, I have to go, I'm going to be late," I say, getting off the stool.

"All right, good luck hun." she says, pulling me into a hug.

"Have fun!" She calls out from the kitchen as I head to the front door. "But not too much fun, I'm too young to have grandkids!"

I rush to shut the door behind me, trying to get as far away from that conversation as I possibly can. I get in my car, and as I grab the steering wheel, I feel my heart pounding again.

'You can do this.'

Repeating that phrase in my head, I start the engine and pull out of the driveway.