Chapter 10

This is my favorite time of the year, and today is the day I spend all year counting down on my calendar waiting for it to arrive.

Ever since I was two years old, my parents have taken me to the same place every winter. The small cabin in the mountains overlooks the lake, not too far away from the ski resort where we spend a week (sometimes two) skiing, walking around town, going to our favorite local restaurants, and hiking in the woods to the secret clearing. We like to take the opportunity to celebrate Christmas and New Year's in a place where we actually get to see  snow.

This place is magical. It's like somehow the air is fresher, the sky is bluer, and the stars shine brighter. Well, maybe that's because there's less pollution, but still. Every time we come back it feels as though we've never left. That lake has seen me grown, those snowy mountains have seen me fall and get back up a thousand times, and those woods know all my secrets.

They say you always go back to those old places that made you love being alive, and to me this is it, the place I'll always keep coming back to. My home.

My dad's lifelong dream has always been to retire from the job that he hates and coming out here with my mom, build a little cabin of their own overlooking the lake, maybe open up a little tea house where my mom can put her terrific baking skills to use, and live out the rest of their days here. Just them and these old woods.

As beautiful as it is finally arriving after waiting for it for 358 days, one of the things I love the most about this yearly trip is the drive up here. Sure, 26 hours locked up inside a car can feel like an eternity, but there's nothing like putting my headphones in and listening to my music as I look through the window at the scenery.

During the night drive, we always find ourselves on the deserted route, which is just miles and miles of nothing, one road, dry grass, and earth. But the next morning, after hours and hours of driving through barren land, right around breakfast time, we get to town and the best diner in the entire country comes into view. My parents and I go in, stuff ourselves full of the most delicious pancakes, eggs and bacon you'll ever taste, and once our batteries are fully recharged we get back on the road.

Last night, we were parked at a truck stop so my dad could rest for a bit before getting on the deserted route. It was 11 pm when my phone screen lit up on the seat, casting a blue light all through the car. I was wide awake at the time, trying to tire myself out by reading a book while my parents slept.

Noah:

How's the drive going?

I was surprised, but in the best way possible.

Maddison:

Good! We're actually not on the road right now, my parents are sleeping for a bit.

Noah:

I remember I used to go on road trips with my parents when I was a kid, I used to love that. Being crammed in the backseat with my siblings though? Not so much.

Maddison:

Perks of being an only child I guess.

Noah:

You know what my favorite part about it was? Looking up at the night sky through the window. My parents took turns, so we'd drive all through the night and I would sleep all day just so I could stay up later, listening to the radio with my dad and counting the shooting stars.

Maddison:

That sounds really nice. Mine has to be when it rains. Not like a small drizzle, but the kind that you can hear the water pouring on the roof of the car and see the raindrops racing each other as they slide past the window. Makes me want to stop the car just so I can get out and feel the rain washing over me.

Noah:

I've never done that, but it sounds pretty great.

Maddison:

You should, because it is.

Our small conversation ended there, leaving me with a smile on my face as I fell asleep. A sleep I would come out of the next day, just in time for pancakes.

***

My parents and I spent three days of that week skiing. It might look like just sliding down a snowy hill a few times, but it actually takes a lot of physical effort to stay upright and not fall on your face. So by the end of the third day, our sore and tired bodies let us know that we'd had enough. The rest of the week we spent going to town for hot chocolate in the afternoon, to the beach so my dad could put his fishing gear to use on the lake while my mom and I sat on the rocky shore reading and listening to the water splash, and cozying up in the cabin near the fire for late-night movies.

Every couple of days I would get a text from Noah, sparking a short and casual, but very much welcome conversation.

Noah:

I followed your advice today.

Maddison:

What advice?

Noah:

I was running some errands and, just as I was getting out of my car in my driveway, I got caught in the rain and it made me think of you. I was just about to run inside but I remembered what you said, so I stayed out there for a few minutes. I got soaked, and probably caught a cold in the process, but it was worth it 'cause you were right. It felt pretty amazing.

Christmas and New Years came and went like any other day. We exchanged gifts, enjoyed a nice dinner, and had breakfast in matching pajamas. No fireworks for us, or anyone in our near vicinity for that matter, since they are a fire hazard and no one wants to see the woods burn to the ground. I was glad when Ty and Syd kept up their promise,  calling me while on the roof of Ty's house and sending me videos of the firework show.

I loved spending the week with my family but I couldn't wait to go back to my friends. Imagine my excitement when we finally arrive home as the sun is going down and I see them sitting right on my doorstep, waiting for me. I know it sounds dramatic because we've only been apart for a few days, but we're used to spending every living, breathing second together, so I really did miss them.

I leap out of the car only to be caught in Tyler's arms as I practically jump on him. Syd comes up from behind me to join the group hug and they sandwich me tightly between them.

"How was it? You guys must be exhausted." Tyler asks.

"It was lovely but I'm glad to be home. And, actually, not at all. I'm fresh as a daisy." I reply.

"That's because you've been sleeping instead of driving the past 26 hours," my dad says as he stretches his back outside the car.

"Yeah, we're pretty tired," my mom joins in on his argument with heavy lidded eyes and a yawn, "I'm probably going to sleep all the way into tomorrow."

"You guys should go rest," Tyler tells them, "We were actually hoping we could take Maddie out for a bite to eat if that's okay with you."

"Really?" I ask, "Thank God, I haven't eaten since this morning and I'm starving. Can I go?" I direct the question to my parents.

"Sure thing kiddo, as long as you don't wake me up during the next 48 hours, you three can fly out to Argentina for all I care." My dad jokes.

"Don't give them any ideas, Marcus," my mom warns him nudging him towards the house and the three of us laugh. My dad wraps his arm around my mom and they go inside, leaving us to spend our night however we want.

After the door closes behind them Tyler looks back pointing finger guns at us at us and smiling widely, "The night is young and so are we. Let's go baby!"