Chapter 12

The night of the party, Tyler and I show up at Sydney's house a few hours early to help her get everything ready. For safety precautions, she put all valuable objects that could get broken or stolen inside her parent's bedroom and locked the door, hiding the key in her own room.

The weather is nice tonight, so we set up outside to minimize the mess that will be left to clean up in the house. Her invitation was B.Y.O.B. (bring your own booze), but Ty, Syd, and I still put some money together to buy a few bottles just in case. Once everything is prepared, we head up to her room to get ready.

For tonight, I let Syd pick out my outfit and my overall look again, because she did a great job last time. I'm wearing a burgundy, lacy top, paired with a black leather skirt and matching jacket, sheer tights to keep me warm, and a pair of black ankle boots. Syd accessorised with a golden necklace, and completed the look with some light makeup.

As I look at my reflection in the mirror I'm feeling way more confident in the way I look tonight than I did last time I let Syd choose my clothes. This is more my style, and I've got to say, I'm feeling pretty cute.

By the time we're both done getting ready it's already 9pm and people should start arriving any minute now. Adding some finishing touches. we rush downstairs and wait for guests to start showing up.

Tonight, we took my car and agreed that I would be the designated driver in case Tyler wants to drink. "Can you promise me one thing?" Syd asks me.

"Depends on what that is." I respond.

"Can you promise me you won't let Mason ruin your night like last time we went out? And the time before that?"

"I promise. You don't have to worry. He doesn't affect me anymore." I assure her. "The only thing I feel for him is resentment." Sydney gives me a skeptical look.

"Okay that's not completely true, but it's 99% true." I say.

"You sure? I'm just looking out for you Mads, you can tell me the truth."

"I know, and I am! Seriously, you don't need to worry, I'll be fine."

"Okay good. Now take this," She says grabbing my wrist and placing something in my hand.

"What is it?" I ask right before she lets me go and I get to see what's sitting in my palm.

"It's the key to the guest room upstairs," she whispers in my ear, "In case you get lucky with Noah." she winks.

"Syd!" I protest but I'm interrupted by the doorbell ringing and Syd bolts to open it, leaving me no choice but to keep the key.

People start showing up and the music gets turned up as the party kicks off. I stay with Syd near the front door, letting people in and checking that no one is showing up uninvited. Once everyone in her mental checklist is here, Syd links her arm with mine and says "Let's go find Ty." So we head to the back, where the party is going strong.

We find him pretty quickly and walk over to him. "Heyy! There's my favorite girls!" He brings us in for a hug, clearly already a bit tipsy.

"How's everything going out here? Anyone thrown up yet?" Syd asks.

"I don't know, and I really don't want to find out." He answers in between giggles. There's actually not that many people here, Syd didn't want any strangers in her house, so she kept the guest list pretty limited, which ensures I know pretty much everyone who came. Oddly, I find myself looking for a specific green-eyed boy.

"He's over there," Sydney whispers to me as she takes a sip of her drink.

I look in the direction she pointed and there he is, Noah Reed in all his glory. He's sitting with a group of his friends, smoking a cigarette and looking bored. As he lifts his gaze he looks directly at me and I dart my eyes away as quickly as possible, addressing Syd again.