Chapter Eleven

Boom!

"What the...?!" Jenny exclaimed immediately.

"A booming sound? Intolerable!" George protested. "That writer of ours. She is up to something!"

Then what followed next were two more booms.

Boom! Boom!

Then three.

Boom! Boom! Boom!

We all covered our ears as more booming sounds were made. I saw people's mouths moving, trying to talk over the loud noises, but they had no luck. The noises got louder and louder, so it was impossible at this point.

The sounds rang in my ears, and I gritted my teeth, praying that they would stop for good. Or at least for a minute or two.

After what felt like a never-ending cycle of booms, they finally stopped. Silence filled the room.

My gang looked at me with their ears still covered. The looks on their faces were asking me if it was safe to uncover our ears.

I listened for any more booming before making my decision.

None. It was completely still and silent.

I was going to uncover my ears, reassuring them that it was over, but I guessed that Jenny thought that I was taking too long because she rolled her eyes and uncovered her ears. Jane, Sue, Jim, and Billy noticed and copied her. Well, not the rolling eyes.

I was not assumed by Jenny and uncovered my own ears.

What was her problem with me?

George was hiding under the desk. He was curled into a ball and shuddering.

"I knew it!" he shouted. "And now, we are going to die!"

"George! You idiot!" Barbara was now up from her seat. "You are a fictional character! We all are! We cannot die."

He stopped shaking and uncurled. "Oh. Right. Silly me." He scrambled out from underneath the desk and to his feet. "But you know what I am sure of?"

"That certain real worlders do not have class like Ash does?" Jenny mocked.

"Bite your tongue!" He smoothed his tie. "That your writer pushed that button."

"You mean the button that dooms real worlders?" I said.

"Yes! She pressed that button!"

Jenny clenched her hands into tight fists. "What makes you so sure? You have no proof!"

George pointed a finger at one of the windows in the room. "Then see what is outside."

We stayed where we were and took a glance at the window.

There was a red sky. And smoke.

"So?" Sue said. "I do not see any dead people."

All of a sudden, an object flew through the window, breaking the glass in the process, and hit the floor. A large object.

A tall and thin object.

"Ah!" Sue hid behind me.

Figures.

"It is a skeleton," Jane concluded.

"Not just any skeleton," George remarked. "The skeleton...of a dead person!"

Barbara screamed. "That is it! Our writer has snapped!"

At that moment, Ash came back. She was humming a tune and looked positively happy.

George rushed up to her. "Tell me. Are you proud?"

"Hmm? Proud of what?" Ash said. "Proud that I have opened my eyes to the truth?"

"Do not delay the inevitable! Tell me! Are you proud that you doomed your own kind?"

"What?!"

"Are you proud now?! Are you?!"