Chapter Six

Cal. The first three letters of Caleb's name. The same hair as Caleb's. The same glasses as Caleb's. The face. Caleb's face.

Yup. This was Caleb's son.

It did not take long for Cindy to figure out what Ava meant. She pressed her hands against her cheeks as she stared at her boyfriend's offspring.

"Caleb...Caleb never told me that he has a son."

Cindy knew for sure that Ava was not lying about this one. The proof was in her arms after all.

"He never did because he has no idea," Ava confessed. "I have not told him."

"Why...why not?!" Cindy was sputtering because she did not know how to react.

Would you?

"He will take his son - no, our son - from me. I will not allow that."

"You evil person! He has every right to see and take his son from a psycho like you! In fact..." She grabbed Cal and pulled him away. "...I will let him see his father."

Ava crossed her arms and tsk-tsked. "I suggest that you not do that."

"Why not? Huh? 'Cause you desire to keep Cal to yourself and continue ruining Caleb's life?"

"Who says that this reason has anything to do with Caleb?"

"Wah!" Cal kicked and squirmed. "Let me go, you bad lady! Mama!" He reached for Ava. "Help me! The bad lady has me!"

Ava giggled wickedly. "That is why."

"Cal, please." Cindy tried her best to calm him. "I am not the bad girl here. Your 'mother' is, and she is no mother. She does not deserve to be one."

Cal's palms became sweaty. Just like Caleb's whenever his anxiety took control. "Let go!" He began hitting her and burst out crying.

Ava held out her open palms. "Give him to me. Now. Or he will keep hurting you."

Cindy sighed, seeing no other choice, and handed him back. She really did not want to, but what else could she do? She could stand Cal hitting her, however, he was not happy. She knew that the only way to get him away from her without him getting upset was for Ava to give up custody. Ava could tell Cal that he had to go with Cindy and meet his father, and Cal would not be able to do anything but respect his "mother's" wishes.

But how would she do it? How would she get Ava to give him up?

Ava rubbed Cal's back and comforted him. "Shh. It is okay. Mama is here. She will always keep you safe."

"Mama." He looked up at her and grabbed her nose.

"You just love my nose."

"Yeah!"

Cindy breathed heavily. She was definitely not happy at the scene. "So...I suppose that you and Caleb...you know...to make Cal."

She grinned. "Oh, yes."

She jumped a bit. "What?!"

"I combined Caleb's DNA and my DNA to create Cal."

"...oh."

She laughed. "You actually thought that I loved that poor excuse for an assistant. Ew!"

"Caleb deserves to see his son!"

"You have forgotten. Cal has my DNA too. He looks like Caleb and acts like me. Spoiled. It is unfortunate that he developed the same disorders as Caleb. But I already spanked him for that."

"Spanked him?! You...you spanked him for that alone?!"

"Of course. Cal needs to learn that I do not take mistakes."

"Then why did you make him?!"

"I was lonely. I had no one to talk to."

"Nobody desires to talk to a wicked being!"

"Slapi is always leaving to do some stupid thing. He barely has time for me. So I thought that I could create somebody. Somebody who was part of me. Unfortunately, I cannot add just my DNA. The limit is two, and it has to be from a boy. At one point when Caleb was with me, his hair was falling out. I collected all the pieces of hair and stored them in a plastic bag that you will never find."

Cindy stuck out her tongue in disgust. "I am sure that I did not need to know that."

"But you do. Anyway, his hair was the only DNA that I had on me, so I combined some of his hair and some of mine. And bam! Cal was born. Cal Campbell." She kissed his cheek, and Cal giggled.

Cindy growled. "He is not Cal Campbell. He is Cal Night. At least...he will be."

"Oh, really? And what are you going to do about it?"

"I...do not know yet...but I will come up with something."

"To kidnap Cal?"

She brought her face close to hers, and the tips of their noses touched. "To make you give up on Cal."

Ava stepped back. "You will never take my son away."

"It is Caleb's son. Not yours!"

She gripped Cindy's wrist. "Try me, and it will be the last time that you have something up your sleeve."

Cindy jerked away. "You have played dirty. So I will too."

"Do your worst. Now get out!"

"Gladly!"

Cindy scurried up to the door and opened it. She scrambled out of the cottage.

Ava slammed the door. She took deep breaths.

"Mama? Is something wrong?" Cal asked.

She glanced at him and kissed his nose. "Nothing is wrong. Not as long as I am here. Protecting you."