18

[p i p e r]

"I heard something else out there today. I think it was a different monster." Minho says.

This can't be happening.

But it is.

The Ending.

They're going to try to chase us out of the Glade and into the maze.

I have to ask Teresa about it tonight.

Teresa.

Her trial.

Its today.

I couldn't stop a strangled sob from escaping out of me.

"Pipes?" Minho says, concerned. He strokes my hair, as if to comfort me.

"Teresa" I mutter.

Minho, knowing me best, stays silent. I am grateful that he does not speak. I need to think about everything.

I wished I had some answers.

"I hate how they play with our heads." Minho mutters.

Before I can reply him, a pain hits me in the head and I black out.

-

I find myself, running. Hey Piper. I'm trying to escape. I need your help.

How? Just watch and remember as much as you can. Tell Thomas about my death and tell him I love him.

I am running away. Guards are shouting behind me. I turn and shoot them. I realise that I am inhabiting Teresa'a body.

"Teresa, Teresa, Teresa. You really are making this difficult for us, aren't you?" A woman smiles at me, pointing a gun at me head.

"Drop the gun." The gun slides onto the ground.

"You have to doing this to all of them. This isn't humane. WICKED isn't good. This experiment, all of this, just to find a Final Candidate?"

"Do not question us, Teresa. You never did."

"I am questioning you now."

"You failed. You yourself failed to monitor the girl, Piper. And now since she is going to replace you as the trigger, you don't serve any purpose at all. In fact, she is a better replacement."

"Shut up. She doesn't deserve all of this." I am raging.

The lady cocks her head to the side.

"Have you caught the Flare, Teresa? Maybe you aren't even immune. Protecting them? Now? When all these ideas were by you?"

"There are some things that are worth fighting for. Not just a bunch of monsters hiding in a bunker tapping on their screens!" I scream.

"Teresa, we are going to give you a choice."

I growl. "I don't want your ruddy choices."

"You don't have a choice whether you can choose or not."

I snarl "Don't treat me like one of your Subjects."

"Piper and Thomas. One of them dies."

I freeze. I loved Thomas. But I know only Piper can stop all of this. She was the only one that is strong enough. The Rebel. The Real Leader.

Teresa? I ask. What?

Choose me. Kill me.

No.

Piper?

Yes?

Float, Catch, Bleed, Death, Stiff, Push.

What?

The code. Tell Thomas I love him.

Teresa, what do you want to do, don't-

Goodbye, Piper.

I watched as in one swift movement, swung my arm to grab the gun, aiming it at my own head.

"Neither dies"

I pulled the trigger. WICKED isn't good.

Teresa's conciousness slips away. I feel like I'm falling.

Falling.

Falling.

Falling.

The world spins into a void of colours.

Everything explodes, blinding me.

Then...

Darkness.