He Loves Me He Loves Me Not

They had just returned to the hotel.

Liam's POV

I opened the door for Zayn, smiling to him as I did so.

He returned the smile.

My heart skipped a beat.

I love his smile. I love how his smile goes all the way up to his eyes. I love how he crinkles his nose when he does this. I love the sparkle in his honey coloured eyes. I loved how he slightly stuck his tongue out when he smiled. And I loved his teeth, those bright white pearls, mmm. I could go on and on about how much I loved this boy.

His voice interrupted my thoughts.

"What's that?" I asked him a bit rudely.

"I asked if I could stay a while"

Butterflies erupted in my stomach upon hearing this.

Of course he could stay, I thought to myself.

"Yeah mate, sure" I said cooly, trying not to sound too desperate.

"Alright" Zayn said, clicking his tongue.

Now to the question I have been burning to ask, what had been troubling him?

"Hey Zee?" I asked nervously. "What we're you worried about earlier?" I questioned him, looking at the ground as if it was the most interesting thing in world, which it wasn't.

He let out a heavy sigh.

I was getting impatient and began to fiddle with my fingers. I bit my bottom lip hard, chewing on it. I realized I had been holding my breath. Breathe. I told myself.

He finally spoke.

"I've just been quite torn lately...and confused" he said, running his hand through his jet black hair.

I paused.

"About what?" I asked him softy and carefully, almost a whisper, as if he were a fragile piece of glass art that I was holding and did not want to drop or break.

We sat in silence for what felt like a lifetime.

I couldn't handle the silence. I needed him to speak. The silence was beginning to get louder and louder.

"I just-" he paused again.

I swear to God if he does that again, I will actually strangle him.

He took a deep breath and said "I'm going to be completely honest with you because...well, I think I love you"

I sat there. Shocked. What? He thinks he loves me? I had stopped listening to him. Those were the only words I was hearing. They were being repeated through my mind like an endless train.

As I was lost in thought, Zayn was explaining everything; how he love yet hated his ex and wasn't completely over her and how he was in love with the idea of being in love with me.

But I wasn't listening. "I think I love you" was on repeat in my mind.

He was rambling on and on about his ex and how he was beginning to fall in love with me, but I wasn't listening until his voice broke into my thoughts saying, "But I can't love you."

WHAT? Anger began to build up inside of me and I felt my face heat to a dark shade of red. It was almost as if steam was coming out of my ears, which were now a bright shade of crimson red.

I turned away from him, embarrassed.

How foolish of me, to ever think that he would love me. Of course he can't love me. Of course he's not over his ex. Of course I had to fall for him head over heels. Of course he had to be the one. One negative thought after another rolled through my head.

During this whole time he had been talking at me but I wasn't listening. I was too busy thinking of myself. Being selfishly in love.

"Li? Liam? Did you hear what I said?" I heard him say and it broke into my thoughts.

"What" I said harshly, "I heard you alright. You said you loved me. Then you tore my heart out and ripped it out, no big deal."

"Liam..." He reached out for my shoulder but I pulled away.

Without control, I began to tell him how I felt. Shaking, i began to confess my love for him, how I fell in love with him when I first laid eyes on him, when I first heard his voice, when I first bumped into him, when I first looked deep into his eyes, when I first breathed in the scent of his cologne, when I first felt him grind on me, when I first felt his lips on my own, when I first felt our hands lock and fingers lace together, when I first felt like I was high up on cloud 9; when I first fell in love with him.

I did all this in one breath and soon realized I was running out of air. I felt tears coming up, but I did not let them out. No, I need to be strong. Then I thought once more of the boy I had fallen madly in love with, and how he made me strong and weak all at the same time.

"You make me strong, Zayn. And I'm truly, madly, deeply in love with you and all your little things."

I finally looked up to meet his eyes, which were now moist, tears at the edge begging to be spilled and his cheeks were a soft shade of pink. I looked into his beautiful orbs and saw the confusion in his eyes. I could tell he was trying to decide what to do.

"Liam..." he began, "I have been feeling so different ever since I met you two nights ago...you make me feel...alive. I don't know but it makes me want to run away with you, without looking back, yet a small part of me is telling me no, that I should go and try to get back with my ex-"

I cut him off right there. I couldn't stand him talking about his ex.

"Fine, Zayn. I get that you have a tough decision to make, but let me just say this, couples break up for a reason; because they begin to see a side of the other they dislike, but after they split, they begin to think of all the good things in them..." My voice trailed.

Zayn looked at me puzzled.

I don't think he understands what I'm trying to say.

I let out a sigh. "What I'm trying to say is, you broke up with her for a reason. I believe that it happened so that new doors would be opened in your love life and that fate has brought us together. I'll give you some time..."

I paused, unsure of what to say next. "Here's my number. Call me when you've made your choice." I handed him a slip of paper with my phone number on it and turned away from him.

He took it, with a pained expression on his face while wearing a frown.

Without saying a word, he turned and headed for the hotel room door. He muttered a soft "Call you soon" and winced in pain at what I assume to be his thoughts.

As he walked out of the door, I whispered quietly, yet loud enough for him to hear, "I love you."

And with that, my eyelids came over my eyes without warning and I was fast asleep, my dreams eluded with sweet thoughts of him and his painful words that stung like a thousand needles and a thousand knives.

•••••

This chapter actually hurt to write, bc it's hard for me to write about zerr*e ewh. But otherwise, I think it was pretty good, what do you think? Xx

Vote/Comment/Follow x