Chapter 88

Colin's POV

            "I saw that Colin," Becca raises a judging brow at me as she places an oversized duffle bag under her seat. Nothing gets past her, and definitely not the stunt I pulled the last game. 

                        "Saw what?"

            "Let's just hope Vera saw it."

                        "I don't know what you're talking about."

            Becca shakes her head. There's no point in trying to bullshit. But I'm in a playful mood right now. I'll beat around the bush. 

            "I'm pretty sure the whole nation saw that Colin."

                        "Hmm."

            "I hope you guys get back together soon."

                        "You don't think she should ditch me like everyone else does?" The thought surprises me. I already know I'm not good enough for her. The revelation came to me a long time ago. But still, something deep down inside of me kept saying otherwise. A small voice, but a voice nonetheless. 

            "No, I think you guys are meant for eachother."

                        "Thank you!" I throw my hands up in mock defeat.

            "I also think that you need to keep your head out of your ass and stop making horrible decisions. Like going to a trap house and taking drugs. It was also a bad idea to be alone in a room with one other football player and a woman. I mean come on Colin, sometimes I feel like you don't think."

                        "Ok this conversation isn't going the way I thought it was. Besides that was a long ass time ago."

            "A few months ago isn't too long."

            I bite my tongue as Becca sits down. The bus lurches forward and within minutes, the players are lulled to sleep. I can only pray that Vera was watching the game...and that she saw me at the end. She's all that was on my fuckin mind during the game, during our victory. I put on my headphones trying to escape my feelings. I'm a damn fool.

Vera's POV

            "Aunty Ray? Do you need anything from the store?" I zip up my gray Nike hoodie over my baby bump. Everything has been tight fitting nowadays. I'll have to go shopping in the maternity store soon. Leah would love that.

            It's been two days since the game and Aunty Ray is still trying to get over the shock from the news that Colin Kaepernick happens to be the father of my baby. 

                        "Yeah sure, can I have a kiwi-strawberry Arizona tea?" She calls from her office.

            "Got it!" I grab her car keys from the key holder next to the door and waddle out to the car.  

            I've been replaying Colin mouthing my name in my mind since the game. I've been losing sleep over it. So he's still thinking about me? Me? All I can think about is how he kissed his hand and held it to his heart. After everything, everything, does he really still love me? Can he still love me? Regret.  Maybe I should have given him a chance to explain, a chance to tell me his side of the story. I'm always so quick to jump to conclusions, to think the worst of him. Maybe I should tell him about baby girl. I swallow a knot in my throat before putting the key into the ignition and reversing out of the driveway. No. No. There's no going back now. My phone vibrates against my thigh. I pick my phone out of my pocket, keeping one hand on the wheel.