Chapter 57

Colin's POV 

I can't think straight. I can't see straight. All I can fucking think about is Vera. 

The living room of my apartment is trashed. After finding Vera's ring on the floor next to the DVD, I blacked out in anger and fucked the living room up. 

Socked a hole into the television set, threw down the dresser, ripped off everything hanging on the walls. Might've been overkill, but I threw the dvd into a can and set it on fire. I watched it melt and burn into a metallic liquid, neon colors playing on the surface. 

Everything is running together in my fuckin head. Days of training, going to the carnival with Vera, kissing her on the Golden Gate Bridge. I fucked up. Fucked everything up. And Trish. I don't know where to start. 

One thing is for sure, I can't stay here anymore.

 I stand up slowly, a victim in the aftermath of a war zone. Stepping through the mess I head for the door. I briefly look back at the apartment before turning to leave.

FLASHBACK

COLIN & VERA FIRST MEET 

Colin's POV            

"So, tell me, what does big daddy Kaep like doing in his down time?" The blonde has the tip of her finger in her mouth, her eyes searching me. She has a skin tight dress on, her body arched in all the right places as she leans on the counter next to me. Definitely an easy lay, but I'm not feeling it tonight.

            "Sweetheart. I have some business to take care of. I'll catch you later," I get off the bar stool and head towards the main part of the party. Fuckin social parties aren't my thing, especially after all the partying I had done back in my college days, but I had to fake it. It was part of being in the spotlight. Rebecca brushes past me, followed by two girls. One is Leah, her niece, and the other...I've never seen before. I watch them advance into the thick of the crowd. They stand to talk to some people. Rebecca is very social, smiling and laughing at all the right moments. She has a way with people, making anyone she first meets feel as if they're the most important person in the room. All reasons she makes such a great PR lady. The girl next to Leah stays quiet. I watch her stand in silence beside Rebecca and Leah the entire time. She's average height; her hair is long and black, trailing past her waist. Her waist, her hair ripples past a perfect curve inward. Curves, she is a perfect thick. I watch her thick legs, something refreshing in a place full of women who look like they don't eat.

            She turns briefly to look around. I'm surprised at how beautiful she is. She has a round face, rosy cheeks under almond shaped bright brown eyes, and plump lips. She scrunches a button nose and looks back towards the conversation.  I'm drawn to her immediately. 

            "Hey Becca!" I say smoothly, putting my arm around her shoulder. Leah's on her phone, momentarily looking up to acknowledge my presence, and turning back to her phone screen. The other girl barely looks at me, continuing to scan the room. She seems bored. I finger my lineup, shocked that she isn't giving me the attention I'm used to.

            "Hi Colin!" Becca gives me a hug while holding a drink in her hand. "You remember Leah!" She motions to Leah. "And this, is Vera, Leah's friend from Seattle," she says pointing towards Vera. Vera gives me a weak wave. "Vera just moved down here with Leah."

            I look down at Vera. Vera. I was getting hard looking at her. Fuck.

                        "You like it down here Vera?" I ask casually.

            She hesitates.

            "Yeah, I guess. It's different."

                        "The bay is the greatest place in the world."

            "Right after Seattle," she says, looking up to smirk before awkwardly looking back towards the ground. This girl is......weird. I try to feel her out. I'm so damn used to girls I'm interested in throwing themselves at me. 

            "We're going to head toward the bathroom," Leah says, grabbing Vera's arm.

                        "Okay, I'll be around," Rebecca nods. They both walk away and I watch Vera, her hips swaying in a way that makes my head spin. I lick my lips, trying to clear the thoughts in my head. 

            "Colin, lay off," Rebecca says firmly.

                        "What? Lay off what?" I ask.

            "I know what you're thinking, you look like a lion about to pounce. Just, Vera is different. She isn't like the other girls you're used to, she's not a piece of meat."

                        "Okay Becca, no worries," I say, straightening the sleeves of my suit jacket.

            "I mean it."

                        "Mmmhmmm."

            I look towards the direction Leah and Vera went, knowing she would be mine.