Chapter 82

Colin's POV

             As soon as the jet lands, my whole body tenses. We had been delayed for a little bit, bad weather. Every second in the air or waiting on the ground was like digging a dagger deeper and deeper into my chest. I grind my teeth, my jaw tightening.  Can't eat and can't sleep. A dull headache interrupts the steady clenching of my jaw. If there's fuckin reporters outside, I'll lose my fuckin head. I check my phone again, hoping for her name to flash across the screen. Nothing. Nothing. No texts or missed calls. As much as I hate to admit it, I know the media's words have gotten to Vera before mine have. I turn the volume up and drown myself in the music of my headphones. 

Vera's POV     

            When we pull up to SFO, I have to beg Leah not to walk me in. She parks in the loading zone outside of Southwest Airlines and we sit in silence for a little bit. I look over to her, her eyes bloodshot. We stayed up until it was time to take me, we watched movies, ate ice cream, and talked about everything-just like we did so many nights in college.

            "V, I want you to call me as soon as you land."

                        "I will."

            There's a tear that finds its way down Leah's cheek, and I wipe it away with a crooked finger.

            "I love you V."  

                        "I love you more. Let me know when you make your way up to Seattle."

            "Duh. I don't know what I'll do without you."

                        "Start partying again?" I laugh lightly before Leah grabs me into a hug.

            We hug for longer than I mean to, and I pull back, grabbing my single bag. Flight ticket in hand, I open the door and jump out. I close it before backing up onto the curb of the airport, blowing a kiss toward Leah. I've never been good at farewells, and I don't want to go into the airport red faced from crying. I turn to head into the double doors before turning back to catch a glimpse of Leah's car getting smaller down the ramp.

 Colin's POV

As soon as I get out of the jet, cameras start to flash. The PR team and some of my bodyguards surround me, providing shade from the glare of bright lights.      

            "Kaepernick! Kaepernick! Did you or did you not rape the female accusing you?" 

Lights flash and I pull up my hood, squeezing the wire from my headphones along the front of my shirt to keep myself calm.

"Kaepernick! Are you acting out because of the way your team is looking this year?" 

I shove past hands holding up cell phones with recording apps open from each side. The bodyguards who had been waiting for us at the terminal come forward, pushing them away. 

"Kaepernick!" I hear a familiar voice and stop to turn. 

"Is it true that you took advantage of a poor young adult who had absolutely no idea of her actions because she was under the influence of narcotics, and went on to rape her?" Melody's icy blue eyes pierce through me, even more so with her blonde hair pulled back. I can feel my upper lip sneer without meaning it. Man I want to kill this bitch. Why are there so many fuckin women trying to fuck me over? 

"Well?"

I bite my lip until I can taste blood to hold my tongue. I can feel someone push me from behind.