chapter thirty-four

Start from the beginning

The whole event last night made me realise just how much I missed when I was in London. Elena promised to explain everything later just as Jeremy woke up panting, scared. 

Elena comforted him when he awoke and then I took over. After making sure that Jeremy was okay, her and Stefan went downstairs, leaving me with Jeremy.

I spent the whole night in Jeremy's room with him. I didn't want to leave him alone, I was too scared that this was all just my imagination playing around with me and that Jeremy was actually still lying dead on my bedroom floor. 

We laid side by side, Jeremy trying to sleep and me just staring aimlessly up at the ceiling. No matter how hard i tried i just could fall asleep, Jeremy could either...Although that may have been my fault.

Every time Jeremy was quiet for too long, I'd call out his name and every time he would just say 'What?' Eyes still closed. I'd then shake my head and mumble 'Nothing.' After doing that for an hour, he started to get annoyed with me and resulted in threatening me. I think he was a second away from actually gagging me.

When I was roughly shaken awake this morning by Elena, and I could feel the impact of the almost sleepless night immediatly. My eye were still sore and puffy from the crying and the blue-ish black bags hung low underneath. 

"Your phone keeps going off." Elena said and passed it over to me. I grabbed ahold it and glanced over to the otherside of the bed. Jeremy wasn't there. Elena must have caught my look. "He's in the kitchen. He didn't want to wake you this morning." 

I nodded and looked down at my phone vibrating in my hand. I clicked the green button and held the phone up to my ear.

"What?" I snapped.

"Someone woke up on the wrong side of the bloody bed." Hollee's voice quipped back.

I sighed tiredly and dragged a hand down and over my face. "I'm sorry. I just -had a bad night."

"Yeah I can tell. Anyway get up and get dress I need a new car."

"I don't really have a choice in this, do I?"

"Nope, none. I'll be there in 15."  With that said she hung up. 

I dropped my phone onto the bed, stretched my arms up above my head and yawned. I licked my lips, grabbed my phone and headed back to my room.

After my quickest shower in history, i wondered back into my bedroom the towel wrapped tightly around my body. I scrutinised my clothing hanging up in my wardrobe. I knew that if Hollee was to have a look through it, I would never hear the end of my clothing choices. I decided to choose a dress to keep Hollee off of my case. I knew she wouldn't have much problem with the rest of the clothes I wore If she saw this.

I finished with my make-up just as the doorbell rang.

"I've got it, Elena!" I shouted as I jogged down the stairs. My boots clumping as I stepped from one step to another.

Just as i got to the bottom of the stairs and was reaching for the door, Elena's voice called out for me to "Stop."

I paused and turned to face her.

Elena's face was set with a hard edge, her eyes narrowed at me. I frowned. What did I do now? Stefan was stood in the kitchen doorway watching. I gave him a small smile with he returned.

"What's wrong, Elena?"

"Where do you think you're going?"

I just looked at her for a few seconds and the glanced to the door. "Out."

"Yeah," Elena shook her head. "I don't think so."

My eyes widened. Is she really doing this? "I'm sorry, what?"

"Do you really think I'm going to let you leave this house after running away -Not once but twice!" She accused loudly. Stefan had taken a few steps closer to us and Jeremy had now appeared in the doorway...Watching.

"Yeah, I think you are-" I said but being cut of by Elena

Elena chuckled  but there was no amusment in it. "Then you're crazy."

I clenched my hands tightly into fist and cocked my head to the side. "And you wanna know why you're gonna let me go?...Because -yeah I've run off twice but what is it that I did both times?" 

"What?" She snapped.

"I came back."  I stated simply.

"Elena, maybe you should just back off." Jeremy said from his spot, arms crossed tightly over his chest.

The doorbell rang again.

Elena spun on her heels to face Jeremy. "Back off? You want me to back off?" She asked in disbelief. "She left the country, Jer. We needed her here and she went off to england!" 

"I'm sorry, okay?! How was I suposed to know that something was going to go down. I was needed elsewhere at the time so I left. I didn't do it on purpose!"

Elena scoffed. "You never do anything on purpose, do you? It's alway an accident- I mean it was your fault that Jeremy was killed last night, but I bet that just wasn't on purpose!" She spat angrily. 

I felt my body freeze up at Elena's words. My eyes widened in shock and began to prick with tears. I know it was my fault, how could I not? 

"I could hear you are Damon arguing last night. He killed Jeremy to prove your words right. He killed our brother because of you."

"Elena!" Stefan and Jeremy exclaimed. Stefan walked over and stood between Elena and I, just a glance at his face and I could see the shock from Elena's words.

Tears slowly began to slide down my cheeks as I watched Elena. She seemed to be slowly calming down and the words that she had just said to me finally processing through her mind. Her eyes widened and her mouth opened and closed, not able to say anything.

A sob escaped me and I shook my head. "I can't believe you just said that."

Elena took a step forward and I took one back. "I'-Oh my god,"

"Don't."

"I'm sorry." She whispered, tears of her own begining to form.

"I said 'Don't,' Elena." I snapped.

The doorbell rang again. I looked over at the door and then back at Elena, Stefan and Jeremy and shook my head.It is my fault.

I grabbed my bag from the bottom of the stairs and glared at Elena. "I'm leaving now and I just might not come back."

I turned away from them and opened the door to reveal a very impatient looking Hollee. She stood there, arms crossed over her chest and one foot tapping against the wood. She stopped when she saw me and i kept my face blank. I walk out.

"Lillie," Elena called from where she stood. I paused and looked over at her. "I'm sorry."

I shook my head at her. "Screw you, Elena." I retorted.

I stepped out onto the porch and pulled the door closed hard behind me. It slammed shut and it felt like the whole house shook under the impact. 

I paused for a few seconds, my mind racing over everything that just happened. I was filled with hurt. I know it's my fault, but she didnt need to say any of that. 

"Are you alright?" Hollee asked, placing a hand softly on my shoulder. 

I lifted my head up and gave her a watery smile. "Yeah, I'm fine. Let's go and find you a car."