Chapter Fifty-Three

"Stefan!" I shouted as Elena and I ran down into the old church. How did this day get any worse? How could they be so stupid?!

    "Stefan!" It was silent apart from Elena and my heavy breathing. The gaping doorway leading into the tomb was pitch black. Elena panted beside me.    "Stefan?" She called out, stepping closer. I grabbed her arm. 

    "Don't." I said. "Katherine won't hesitate to kill you."

    "She'll kill Stefan!" Elena argued. 

    I shook my head. "No she won't."

    "I'm glad someone has some faith in me." A voice identical to Elena's drawled croakily.

    I glared at Katherine. She was still wearing the dress she had apparently worn to the masquerade, except now it was covered in dust and it was hanging of her body.  I could see the effect clearly of lacking blood. Her usual flawless skin was chalky white and drawn in tightly. Her cheekbones protruded unattractively.  Basically she looked like shit.

    "Where's Stefan?" I demanded. 

    "Lillie. Elena." Stefan's distinctive voice spoke. And I watched as he parted through the shadows. He looked tired and uncomfortable. 

    "Stefan." I breathed. "What did you do?"

    "He wanted to spice things up a little bit." Katherine said. "That and your brother got him self into a little problem." Her eyes glinted and she brushed her thumb over the corner of her mouth. "He tasted delicious by the way."

    Any kind of calm control I had a moment ago faded fast and I released Elena and lunged. It was stupid of me and even in this furious haze I knew that. But I couldn't control myself. I was going to kill her. She'd caused too many problems. And I wanted her dead. How dare she lay a hand on my brother. 

    But before I could get within arms reach of her, muscular arms hooked around my waist. "Don't take another step." Damon's growled. 

    I stiffened and slapped his arms. "Don't touch me!" 

    My reaction seemed to shock everyone. Damon was watching me wearily and he looked slightly hurt by my words.  Elena was just staring along with Stefan but Katherine was loving every moment. She was smirking at the trouble, leaning up against the wall casually. Not casual enough, she was trying to play t off although I could see the straining effort it took to hold herself up. 

    "Are you stupid?" Damon snapped. 

    "How could you let this happen?" I demanded accusingly. He should have been here; he could have prevented this whole situation. Why did he ruin it all by running after us? We didn't need him! "This is your fault! You should have been here!"

    "I would have been if you two hadn't run off to get yourselves killed!"

    "I've already told you; I didn't know what she was planning but we were safe enough! We didn't need your help, and even when we did- you were late! You weren't any help to us! You shouldn't have gone!"

    "Lillie, It's not Damon's fault." 

    I whirled on Stefan. "Don't defend him, Stefan. You know just as well as we all do –you wouldn't be in there if Damon was here."

    "But your brother might be dead." Damon said. 

    I clenched my jaw. "Are you saying you would have let him die?"

    "He wouldn't have died- Well, I mean, he would have, but thanks to his magical ring he would have come back to life." Katherine commented.