18

"How about you start at the beginning?" Vernon clicked his tongue and maneuvered his mount around a fallen tree that protruded into his path. When he was around the obstacle, he looked at Elsie. "I want to know who you really are, where you came from, and why the hell there was a necromancer among the McCreedys who nearly killed us all to get a hold of you two."

They had resumed their journey toward Buffalo Gulch ten minutes ago after wrapping up the other corpses. All three brothers and Nora looked at Vernon in surprise, but Ulric spoke the question evident in all their eyes, "A necromancer?"

Vernon clenched his jaw, causing the muscle to twitch for a few seconds before he took a deep breath and nodded.

"You mean the person who looked like they were on fire?" Esmund asked.

"It was a man, and yes."

"How do you know that's what he was?"

Vernon shook his head, "It isn't important right now."

"His name is Calvin Montclair," Piper whispered. "He works for The Matron."

"Actually, Theadora told me he doesn't just work for her; he's her husband as well."

Piper scowled, "How'd Theadora find that out?"

"I couldn't tell you," Elsie shrugged, "but Theadora never lies, so I've no reason not to believe it to be true, and when you think of it, it does make rather a lot of sense. Although, why anyone would want to marry such an evil person is beyond me. I'd never be able to sleep if I knew I was married to someone so evil, let alone eat anything they put in front of me. However, I doubt The Matron is one to cook—I wonder if they go hungry...perhaps that's what's driven them to be so evil?"

Esmund bit back a grin and shook his head.

"Who's The Matron?" Ulric asked.

"She runs Briarwood." Elsie looked at Ulric, "But more importantly, she's evil in the truest sense of the word."

Piper sighed, "Don't you think you're a little hard on her? I believe something happened to change her and made her into who she is now." Her voice softened, "In that regard, she and I are very much the same person."

Elsie gasped, "Oh, Piper...you're nothing like The Matron. You're good and kind."

"I'm not as good or kind as you believe me to be," Piper murmured, "there are things about me that you don't know, things that were you ever to learn, you'd most assuredly hate me for."

Vernon pursed his lips and glanced at Esmund, "What's Briarwood?"

"It's an asylum of sorts," Elsie said with a sad smile, "for lack of a better word."

Ulric frowned, "For the insane?"

Elsie shook her head, "No, but I'm sure it's driven many within its walls to insanity. It's known to outsiders as a home for those with special talents or abilities."

"You mean magical talents and abilities...such as being a Femina Feles or fairy godmother?" Esmund asked.

Elsie nodded.

Gunnar scratched his chin and tucked a lock of hair behind his ear. "Where's it located? I don't believe I've heard of it until now."

Piper glanced at Elsie before saying, "It's about forty miles east of Coyote Hills."

"You mean the monstrosity that looks as though it's been abandoned for at least a century?" Ulric asked with a skeptical tone. "How'd the two of you end up in such a place?"

Elsie gave a heavy sigh and rubbed her brow, "Three months after my uncle was sent to jail for attempting to murder me, Montclair arrived at our home and convinced my aunt it was the only place a person like me would be safe. From the day my aunt and uncle took me in as a child, I knew she never cared for me, but it wasn't until she abandoned me at Briarwood that I knew just how much she truly hated me."