12

"ESMUND," Elsie screamed.

Loose gravel and dirt sprayed into his face as she slid to a stop at his side. An agonized groan escaped his split and bleeding lips when her knees jabbed into his broken ribs. His heavy lids fluttered open long enough to catch a glimpse of her tear-streaked face seconds before unconsciousness took hold once more.

When next Esmund awoke, Ulric was muttering, "...Damn berries!"

"Why on earth," Elsie cried, "would you want to eat berries when your brother is practically dead at our feet?"

A droplet of moisture plopped onto Esmund's cheek as he struggled to open his eyes and failed.

"I don't want to eat the damn things, woman," Ulric growled, "I need them to save his life."

"What?" Both Piper and Elsie gasped in unison.

"How is it possible neither of you knows anything about Berserkers?" Ulric heaved a heavy sigh, "The berries we take to release our berserkers also heal our bodies—wait, Elsie, where are you going? There aren't any berry bushes around here." Ulric paused and muttered, "Where'd she run off to?"

"I have no clue," Piper said, "this isn't like her at all."

Ulric shook Esmund's shoulder, "Stay awake, damnit."

"You really shouldn't shake him; you don't know what damage-"

"I FOUND THEM!" Elsie shouted, interrupting whatever else Piper was about to say.

Rocks crashed and rolled against each other until she dropped beside Esmund. "I can explain..."

There was a brief silence before Ulric spoke with an air of reverence, "Where did you find them?"

Metallic objects clinked together squeaked open, and snapped shut. Esmund tried to open his eyes, but the effort proved too exhausting to give more than a pitiful attempt.

"Well," Elsie hesitated for a moment. "Do you remember what happened yesterday?"

"Quite clearly, as though it was yesterday."

Ulric forced Esmund's mouth open and placed four berries on his tongue. A strangled moan of pain escaped him as he crushed them between his cracked teeth and waited for the juice to work its healing magic on his broken body.

"Hold on, little brother," Ulric murmured. "For crying out loud, ladies, would you move back a little, give him some air..."

Rocks scraped and rolled underfoot before Elsie continued, "What you might not have known is after I witnessed you two Berserk, I had the silliest notion take hold."

Ulric sighed. "Would this have been before or after you died?"

There was a drawn-out pause before Elsie answered him. "It would have been before because I saw you two Berserk and shortly after that was dead, but what I'm trying to say is...I-I found these and then decided it would be better for all of us if they remained in my possession until you rescued Piper."

"Do you have any idea of the trouble your misinformed decision has caused?"

"Well, to be fair," Elsie huffed, "I wasn't thinking very clearly since those ruffians had just shot me, and I was dying."

Five seconds passed before Piper said with false brightness, "The good news is, she's admitted her error, and now you can save your brother."

Ulric grunted and grumbled, "Where did you find them anyway?"

"In both your pockets," Elsie mumbled. "You see, I'm quite proficient at picking pockets—a skill my uncle taught me, and you two were so focused on my wound and telling the story your friend told you. It was rather easy. And I knew if I didn't take them, there was a very real chance you'd destroy Piper in your attempt to save her, so I took them and pleaded ignorance to their disappearance."