2

Esmund turned to his brother, sidetracked by the new jagged scar adorning Gunnar's face. It ran from his left hairline across his cheekbone and crooked around his left ear, ending abruptly at the corner of his jaw.

It was the only visible scar from Gunnar's near-death experience, courtesy of Norbert Jensen. Before the band of 'The Angry Wolf' berserkers descended on their town, they'd believed Norbert to be Nora's father. He'd quickly pointed out he was the leader of renegades and shed himself of the title of father. Then he tried to kill Nora again and informed them her real father was, in fact, her Uncle Franklin.

Needless to say, the altercation hadn't been your 'typical' family reunion, but perhaps it all depended on the family. Heaven knew plenty of families experienced similar issues as Nora—although maybe not to the same extent. After all, how many family reunions out there ended in the death of nearly all the members in attendance?

Esmund glanced at Nora sitting behind Gunnar with her arms wrapped around his waist as they rode Wasp. He'd never known another woman quite like her, and part of him hoped he never would. Female berserkers were terrifying—he'd admit it to her face if she asked him.

Not only was she the first and only female Berserker he'd met—primarily due to female Berserkers being killed at birth. She was also so peculiarly beautiful that he became uncomfortable anytime in her presence, although, in his opinion, he did a rather good job of hiding it. However, did it mean he was attracted to her like Ulric seemed to be—or heaven forbid—have romantic feelings toward her?

He swallowed convulsively at the thought and answered Gunnar's question. "We're off on what I'm sure will be a magical journey to Coyote Hills train depot."

Gunnar grunted but said nothing more.

Esmund allowed Frisky, his palomino gelding, to fall back, which allowed him to study Nora more covertly. Wild, black curls hung loosely around her shoulders—much as they had for the past week while Gunnar lay unconscious. She wore one of Gunnar's old threadbare shirts that had somehow escaped the rag bin for the past sixteen years and a loaned pair of Esmund's musty old trousers.

Thinking of his earlier worry about whether or not he was in love with her, he was pleased to find the answer to be a firm 'no.' That issue settled, he decided his reason for feeling uncomfortable with her was due to her being in the 'pretty people 'category.

'Pretty People' tended to be any duplicitous male or female creature who used their looks to get what they wanted. Which often involved making others miserable in the process, although Nora proved to be an exception to the rule.

Molly Sams was the first name on his list and the sole reason he'd created the 'pretty people' category in the first place. She'd been a spiteful but pretty girl among those poisoned a month ago. Hoofbeats against the dirt road created a hypnotizing, hollow echo, allowing disjointed memories to flicker and fade until the noise and surroundings muted and the memory took shape.

It was back when he was fourteen and desperately infatuated with Delores Larson. She was a beauty with hair the same orange as the carrots in their summer garden that year, and it shined as though it was on fire. If ever an angel on earth existed, Esmund had been sure it was her.

Winter had set in with its usual ferocity after a two-month-long summer—if you wanted to call it that. Ulric and Gunnar walked a quarter-mile ahead of Esmund on the long walk home after school, a tendency of theirs Esmund struggled not to take personally. He envied their twin connection and wished he knew what it felt like to be a part of it.

Molly, one year his junior and bundled up in a thick winter coat and scarf, came skipping up beside Esmund. Given how awful she was, when Molly didn't slip on the ice-covered road, he wasn't sure if it was a miraculous feat or a trick of the devil. Her smile blinded him like the sun reflecting off the snow when she spoke in a sing-song voice, "Delores asked me to ask you if you'd sit next to her tomorrow during the afternoon break. But I know she's wanting you to kiss her."