7

The women had no warning other than Esmund's shout as Ulric berserked and lunged at Piper. But Elsie threw herself in his way, and in the space of a heartbeat, Ulric broke her thin neck. He tossed her body aside as if it were no more than trash, and it landed atop the remains of trees and a dead McCreedy.

Ulric then turned on Piper next. However, his fingers were only able to brush against her skin as Esmund leaped onto Ulric's back and hauled him away. He wrapped his legs around Ulric's torso and forced Ulric's neck into a chokehold, trying to gain control over him.

Mushroom spores still lingered in a hazy cloud around them, so Esmund held his breath and used every shred of strength he could find to keep Ulric away from Piper. Esmund clenched his arms so tightly around Ulric's throat that his fingers swelled and grew numb. All he could do was hope unconsciousness would save Piper's life since there was nothing else he could do without putting her in further danger.

For what seemed to be the hundredth time in the last hour, Esmund wished he had a baneberry. At least then, they would be adequately matched in strength instead of hanging on for dear life, growing more confident he would fail in subduing his brother.

Piper clenched her eyes shut and held both hands inches apart, moving them in a slow circular fashion until there was a sudden spark of fire. The wind howled out of nowhere as the spark grew with astounding speed until it exceeded the size of a cannonball.

Scorching heat radiated from it, and the wind increased until the dirt and debris around them pelted against Esmund's face and body. Ulric snarled and growled while clawing at Esmund's firm hold around his neck.

Piper swung her arms, pulling the fireball back like a massive slingshot. Her eyes glowed bright white as she released the invisible tether upon the fireball. Esmund's fingers slipped, and Ulric lunged forward with an angry snarl as the fireball sailed directly toward them.

Esmund tightened his hold, clenched his eyes shut, and gritted his teeth, praying to any gods who would listen they wouldn't die in the next few seconds. All efforts at maintaining his tenuous grip were lost when the full force of the fireball slammed into them.

Ulric and Esmund were flung back through the air until they crashed into the small crater Piper's first fireball had created. Damp soil sprayed into Esmund's eyes and mouth and rained around him when he collided with a broken tree stump.

When the ringing in his head subsided, he did a mental inventory of all his body parts, pleased to discover bones and muscles ached but weren't broken. He opened his eyes and sat up, scrambling to his feet when Ulric moaned and rolled onto his back three feet away. Esmund leaped onto Ulric's chest, forcing his forearm to Ulric's throat with what little strength he had left.

Ulric's eyes shot open as he clawed at Esmund's arm, "Get off of me, you doofus, I can't breathe!"

Esmund blinked and lessened the pressure, "Are you yourself?"

Ulric gasped and punched Esmund in the gut, forcing him off his chest. "I wouldn't be able to talk if I wasn't."

"Well, that was a first, and I must say most unpleasant way to die."

Holding a hand to his sore stomach, Esmund stood and turned to find Elsie pushing herself to a sitting position with relative ease, although her head rested at an unnatural angle on her right shoulder. Even from a distance, it was clear that Ulric had torn the skin and muscles on the left side of her neck, exposing the inner workings.

"I hope I never have to experience it again, although I suppose now I've gone through it, I'll know what to expect should it happen this particular way once more."