Silver Lining

Grief hit people in different ways. Ria was closer to your personality, but still even she didn't shed tears in common places. It was the one thing you thought was poetic about death, it didn't matter what walk of life you were from, it hit you just the same. Death didn't care how much gold you had, your status in the court or the destiny that was laid out for you. You sat on the sidelines, watching.

Kodlak seemed fine, yet respectful. The man in your mind had already said goodbye to his old dear friend. He's been talking to Aela a lot this past month, even said that he was where he wanted to be. Farkas didn't seem to understand how a man he'd known for so long was just gone, but he also was a pillar. Kodlak laughed about the boy's fortitude. Njada made a rather big mark in the wall when she hit it. Vilkas was upset but he only let you see it. He also seemed to express that even if he's upset by his absence, he was angry at Skjor. You'd even gotten a lecture about going off on your own with no Shield sibling. Athis and Torvar drank themselves silly, Tilma cried for so long and Vignar spent his days recounting stories- some that Vilkas said were imaginings.

Then there was you and Aela. When you passed in the halls, your eyes locked a few times. The anger within her was bubbling. Then it happened. You weren't just on the outside looking in any longer. She caught you when Vilkas was on a job with his brother. You were in his room, with a book spread over your lap, tears streaming down your face. The rest of the hall watched as rage manifested in her dragging you from Vilkas' room by your hair. She threw you that day, into the floor of the hall with everyone watching. The fight that ensued was a flurry of fists. It truly was a blur. You recalled that sounds around you were dampened, but you could hear Kodlak telling the others not to interfere.

The punches continued, the pain you could ignore. Hot blood dripped down trenches in your face carved out by wrinkled skin. It took over an hour, and by the end Aela was hunched over on all fours breathing heavily and spitting blood. You were leaning on a pole, breathing heavily yourself, one eye swollen closed and your hand tingling. You looked to her, the woman wiped blood from her mouth then oddly enough smiled. The boys had come back to you both healing up, but drinking heavily together merrily. They were worried until Ria explained it to them.

That was a month ago. Today you were sitting in your own bed, healed from the fight but still a little sore. There was less work to go around, Njada and Ria taking a lot of it. It's how the woman processed it all, and Ria was happy to oblige. Your night was filled with Vilkas trying to recite a poem he found, but the man stumbled. He was far better at lectures pertaining to weapons but the effort is what mattered. You liked it better when he just spoke from the heart. Telling him that he seemed relieved. You only cared that you could spend time with him still, something a few months ago you thought you'd lost.

"Hey." You looked up from your book, raising a brow. Aela stood there, leaning on the door frame. "So I have a job."

You earmarked the book before sliding it off your lap. "Oh? Do you need me to make a potion or two?"

She shook her head. "I need you to get your gear." You stared at her, amazed. "What's that look for? I know it's been bumpy, but we got through. I still miss Skjor... I loved him."

"I know." You rose to your feet. "I know why you are angry. I'm sorry." She shook her head.

"It's not your fault." She sighed. "It's hard to see you with Vilkas..." You continued to look at her, feeling pangs of guilt. "He loves you, ya know?"

You shook your head. "Does he?" You took in a soft breath. "He won't tell me that if he does."

"I didn't need Skjor to tell me to know how he felt." She pulled her arm around your shoulder. "But don't tell Njada..." You smirked a little before nodding. "Alright. So Kodlak said I need a way to deal with my anger. I've found a few of their lairs. The silver hand. I'm going to make them regret trying to hunt us."

"Us?" You shook your head. "I'm not a wolf..."

She chuckled. "Remember when you learned you were the Dragon Born? Remember what Skjor said? It's not about what you are, it's your soul. You're not like the others, you've never made us feel like beasts."

"but you said-"

"Look, I'm not saying I'm brilliant or anything. I'm mostly right but I do have emotions. I was hurt. I know what I said and I can't take that back, but I'm sorry." She groaned lightly. "Well that put a bad taste in my mouth."

"Apologizing hurt, huh?" She pushed you a little with a chuckle.

"Hush. I've already told Vilkas I took a job. Didn't want him to freak out when he couldn't find you. Especially after that three hour lecture he gave you. We're going to be gone for a while. A few days at most. Meet me at the stables in an hour." You nodded before she walked out of the room. You were thinking about how this turned around. It was just so Nord of a way to hash things out. The unease between you was gone, but the anger in her still remained. You often went over that night, wondering what might have happened if they adopted the stance of taking you even if you didn't turn.