I Was Too Blind

Request: (Y/N) falling in love with Legolas, but it takes many many years of her watching from afar until he finds that she's the one, not Tauriel. @Centaur_Queen

Her feet dangled over the edge as she watched the tiny figures below. They were practicing for the day they would need to defend their people. The elves trained hard every day, knowing the evil and darkness would eventually reach their doorstep.

This was (Y/N)'s favorite spot to perch and watch two particular elves, Legolas and Tauriel. As she watched, (Y/N) thought back to how she had known Legolas much longer than Tauriel. They had grown up together, always getting up to no good and having each other's backs. No one could replace her best friend, but it seemed she was replaceable.

Her fondest memories were with Legolas. They had their lessons together and successfully passed notes amongst themselves, occasionally getting caught. They even learned to ride and had basic training together. Most importantly, (Y/N) was there for Legolas when his mother died when no other elf was, not even his father. She has only ever wanted the best for him.

(Y/N) always had a soft spot for Legolas no matter how much he teased and messed with her. In fact, she always smiles just thinking of their antics together. But this makes it so much more painful when she sees him with Tauriel. He looks at her a certain way that makes (Y/N) jealous of what she believes they have. He always chooses her to dance with at balls, sit next to at feasts, and train with. They are always whispering between themselves, constantly leaving others out. Sometimes (Y/N) wonders if Legolas still remembers she exists. Was their childhood together worth nothing to him?

The worst part is that (Y/N) is not convinced Tauriel shares Legolas's feelings. (Y/N) would rather she was the one hurt by continuing to watch their feelings develop, not Legolas if Tauriel cannot reciprocate his feelings, but time will tell if that is the case. What is also frustrating is that Tauriel does not see Legolas's true personality, his soft side that is caring and compassionate, his honesty and fearless leadership. Maybe he only showed his true colors as an elfling or maybe he only shares his true self with those he truly cares about. In any case, no one is immune to the handsome prince with a personality like his. That is, all elleths but Tauriel apparently.

Her thoughts were rudely interrupted by a horn, sending Legolas and Tauriel out into the forest. They were gone longer than usual, indicating it was more than a normal hunt. They returned with something unexpected, dwarves. (Y/N) watched with curiosity as the king dealt with the leader and the rest were taken to the cells.

That night, (Y/N) refused to go to the Feast of Starlight not wanting to see Legolas and Tauriel together yet again, it was just too painful. Besides, her curiosity got the best of her, and she made her way to the cells. Before stepping out from the shadows, she caught sight of Tauriel talking to one of the dwarves. (Y/N) did not quite understand the appeal of talking to a dwarf, but then again Tauriel was not quite like other elleths. Little did (Y/N) know that Legolas was watching them too, but from a higher level. Luckily, she was not seen spying on Tauriel and the dwarf. (Y/N) could not lie, this made her happy to see that Tauriel was not with the prince while interesting that she was spending her time with a dwarf and not her kind.

~~~ time skip ~~~

After the dwarves escaped, Tauriel ran off after them, fighting a battle that was not hers. Her death wish. Unfortunately, Legolas went off after her. Crap, now the prince needs saving. (Y/N) volunteered herself and followed after them before Thranduil could order someone else to do it. She knew she was the elf for the job because she would bring him home safely.

When she finally caught up with them (Y/N) saw Legolas fighting a large orc. Tauriel offered no help as she was incapacitated halfway down the cliff. Great. Good going, Tauriel. Your prince is in danger and you almost got yourself killed for a dwarf. As (Y/N) neared the duel, she recognized the orc as Bolg. Legolas spoke of him before as being close in rank to Azog, implying he was capable of handling a fight, even to one of Mirkwood's finest.