Chapter 17

Ever since my conversation with Tyler on Saturday, my mind has been all over the place.

Though I don't agree with all his arguments, I have to admit he does have a point to a certain extent. He knows Noah a lot better than I do, and he also knows me a whole lot better than I know myself. So I should listen to him when he warns that if I get emotionally attached I'll end up with my heart broken. But I think it's a little bit late for that.

I just can't help it. When I'm around Noah it's as if my senses become amplified; I can feel the electricity crackling in the air whenever he stands close to me, the fire burning under my skin at his most minuscule touch, the wave of warmth washing through me when he holds my gaze, and the way my heart skips a beat whenever I catch the scent of mint. He intoxicates me; makes my breathing heavier, my mouth feel drier, and my heart beat faster.

What an idiot I must be. I keep choosing the same types of guys every time, the ones I know are going to hurt me over, and over, and over again. And when they inevitably do, I wallow in my self-pity, as if there had ever been a chance that the outcome would be different. Lately, I've been trying to convince myself that I know better, that I have it all under control. But I don't know who I'm lying to more, my friends, or myself.

This is why I've been avoiding Noah at all costs since Sydney's party. I've  been scared shitless of running into him because facing him means also having to face my growing feelings towards him.

As I put my books inside my locker I try to get him out of my head, knowing full well that's not going to happen anytime soon. That green-eyed boy has been plaguing my thoughts for weeks. "Jesus Christ!" I jump back startled as I close my locker and find said boy leaning against the wall. Speak of the devil and he shall appear.

"Have you been avoiding me?" Noah asks with a smirk.

"Jesus Christ, Noah! Are you trying to give me a heart attack?" I ask, a hand over my chest in an attempt to steady my racing heart.

"Whatever do you mean?" he retorts innocently.

"I mean, what are you doing silently lurking behind my locker?" I question him, starting to walk away towards the main doors.

"Now you're just making me sound like a creep." He complains, trying to catch up to my pace.

"Serves you right since you're acting like one." I head outside, and he follows me to the parking lot.

"Alright, alright, I'm sorry. I didn't mean to scare you. But don't try to distract me! You still haven't answered my question." he says still trailing behind me.

"What question?" I ask, stopping in my tracks and turning to face him, causing him to bump into me.

He takes a step back clearing his throat. "You've been avoiding me," he states.

"That doesn't sound like a question to me." I play dumb.

"Is it a true statement, though?" he presses.

"Uhm...no?"

"Is that a question or an answer?"

"An...answer?"

"You're driving me insane." He says sighing, running his hands through his hair in exasperation.

"Maybe you should stop following me then," I say turning on my heels and starting towards my car again.

"Oh no no no no no," he catches me by my wrist "You're not getting away from this conversation." he spins me around to face him. "I know what you're doing, Maddison. You're purposely pushing me away, thinking I'll just let it go and leave you alone. Well sorry to disappoint, but you're not getting rid of me that easily."

I don't say anything and he continues, getting closer.

"So here I am, again, swallowing the little pride I have left, to ask you one more time," he puts his hands together,  "Maddison Sterling, would you please go on a date with me?"

I hesitate, "I don't know Noah, I-"

"You want me to beg?" he interrupts, "I'll do that right now. I don't have any dignity left at this point," he starts getting down on his knees, attracting some onlookers.

"Noah get up," I say through gritted teeth, my jaw clenched tightly. I grab him by the arm, trying to stop him from making a scene and he stands.

He steps closer, grabbing my hand. When he speaks again his voice is low and soft. "All I ask for is one chance. Give me one chance, and I'll prove how wrong you are about me. Please, just one date, and if after that you never want to talk to me again, I'll understand, and I'll leave you alone. I promise."

"How can I be sure you-?"

"You can't," he interjects, "You'll just have to trust me."

My head is spinning, a battle between my mind and my heart, which is beating out of my chest. I wonder how long I'm going to keep resisting him. I'm still apprehensive but his words sound so genuine, and I can't keep doubting him without giving him the chance to prove himself. So I decide to take a leap of faith.

"Okay." I sigh.

He looks stunned. "Is that a yes?" he asks incredulous.

"It's a yes," I turn and start walking away from him, "Don't make me regret it, Reed!" I warn, leaving him behind and head towards my car.