Chapter 26

Regina woke up with a stretch; she smiled at the aroma of breakfast in the air. Slowly sitting up she rubbed her stomach as the baby moved around. It was still a sensation she wasn't used to, but it made her even more aware of the life growing inside her. She slowly made her way downstairs and into the kitchen where Christian was busy reading something on his phone.

"Good morning...well afternoon," she said realizing that it was after twelve o'clock.

"Hi baby," Christian mumbled preoccupied with what he was reading.

"What are you reading?"

"Nothing," he said as he kissed her lips as he shoved his phone into his pocket.

"What's for breakfast?"

"The doctor said you need more red meat in your diet so steak, potatoes and eggs."

"Skip the eggs just the thought of eggs is making me nauseous."

"But you were eating eggs fine last week," he said.

"I know but this week they make me want to barf, take it up with Mariah," she said rubbing her stomach.

"Mariah? What happened to Jasmine?" Christian asked as he ushered Regina to the table.

"Nothing I'm just testing it out."

"I like Jasmine better," he said as he held out Regina's chair so she could sit down. Once she was seated he went to work on her plate. Regina's eyes stretched when she saw the stack of steak and potatoes on her plate.

"Um you don't expect me to eat all of this?"

"Can you at least try for me?" He asked blinking his baby blue eyes at her. Regina let out a long sigh as she picked up her fork and began to quietly dig into her food while Christian relished in his small victory.

Halfway through breakfast Regina finally spoke.

"I went to see Melanie today."

Christian looked up at her,his face clearly expressing his shock as if his gaping mouth wasn't enough.

"What-why?"

"I got tired of her hounding me, so I went to The Westhouse this morning to see what she wanted, and all she wanted to talk about was money." She said rolling her eyes.

"What do you mean?"

"She wanted to make sure that I don't come after the nest egg she has set up for her other children."

"You have siblings?"

"Yeah a younger brother and sister that I've never met. After all of this time I at least thought that maybe she would want to try and get to know me. I hoped for too much." She said refusing to cry or acknowledge the dull ache in her heart.

"Babydoll you just say the word and I will make sure she never makes contact with you again. I will hire the best lawyers around and-"

"-it's not that serious Christian, but thank you." She said giving his hand a squeeze. "I'm finished talking about her, can we talk about something else."

"Of course, I bought you something,"

"A present? Yay!" She said clapping her hands. "What is it?" she said as she put a potato in her mouth as Christian rushed out of the kitchen and came back with a small gift bag in hand.

"What is it?" she asked again as she dug her hand into the bag shuffling through the tissue paper.

"Just open it,"

Regina pulled out an envelope and looked up at Christian questioningly. She opened the envelope and pulled out a pamphlet to a bed and breakfast in Bloomfield.