I sighed, knowing he had a point.

“If you want to go, we’ll go and I won’t let anything happen to you but you need to have some idea of what to expect there.” He continued.

“Alright, can I think about it a bit?”

“Of course.” He smiled.

We went upstairs and went to sleep.

“Wake up! It’s Christmas!” I heard Lily and Sky in the hallway at eight the next morning.

Will groaned, pulling me closer to him, not wanting to wake up. I laughed quietly at him, trying to get up but he wouldn’t let me.

“Just five more minutes.” He mumbled.

“Nope, they’d come in to get us.” I told him.

He reluctantly let me go and we both got up. I threw sweat pants on and a sweatshirt on over my t shirt before we went down.

David and Bethany made everyone wait in the foyer until all of us were downstairs. Xavier was last to come down.

When we were allowed into the family room, I gasped at the sight.

The fireplace was on, making crackling noises and sending waves of heat through the room. I heard quiet Christmas music in the background. Stuffed stockings laid out on the couches, one for everyone including David and Bethany. The tree was surrounded by presents of all shapes and sizes.

It reminded me of a scene from a movie, perfect and amazing.

Christmas’s at home were pretty depressing. We had no money to buy presents, so we made them.

But the presents never mattered. It was more that if Dad was home, he’d destroy the presents. If he wasn’t, mom and I were fighting the entire day.

This year was different, Sky, Lily and I were surrounded by people that loved and cared for us. Our lives had changed for the better. We were a part of a family. It wasn’t perfect but that was okay.

Will wrapped an arm around me and wiped away a stray tear I didn’t know had fallen.

“You okay, love?”

“I’m good.” I smiled at him.

Everyone went through their stockings at the same time, everyone got candy and something more personal like a magazine or, in my case, blue ear buds.

I was slightly confused about why they got me ear buds because I had no use for them but I wasn’t going to mention that now.

For opening presents, we went from youngest to oldest.

“I always wanted one of these, thank you!” Lily hugged me when she opened the lava lamp. She had also gotten a stereo, CD’s, a new leotard and tickets for her and Bethany to go see Swan Lake in a live performance. She was beaming as she thanked everyone.

Sky got books, a journal, a necklace and paint brushes meant for splatter painting. She thanked everyone else before opening mine and I could tell she was trying not to get emotional.

She opened my present and I heard her inhale sharply when she saw the camera.

Last Christmas, I had done enough odd jobs to scrap up the money to buy her a camera because I knew she had been dying to try out photography.

Dad was home Christmas morning, he slammed it into the ground before Sky could even turn it on. She had been so upset about it.

“Thank you.” She smiled at me with tears in her eyes. Xavier noticed and wrapped an arm around her shoulders in support.