Chapter 31

We walked downstairs as Sky and Xavier set the table. I think Lily was in the kitchen helping Bethany cook. Zoey and David sat in the living room reading.

I decided to go help Sky and Xavier set the table while Will grabbed a magazine in the living room.

“Hey.” They both said in unison. Both scanned my expression.

“Hey.” I said, grabbing napkins to put at each plate.

“Fight with Will?” Sky asked.

“Something like that.” I muttered.

We finished quickly and we went into the living room. I sat next to Will and he just smiled and put his arm around my shoulders.

“Any idea what’s for dinner?” Will asked the others.

“I think spaghetti.” Zoey answered.

He  nodded and grabbed a random magazine. It was some mens fitness thing, really uninteresting but I didn’t feel like picking up anything. I just leaned my head on his shoulder and closed my eyes.

“Wake up, beauty. Dinner’s ready.” Will whispered in my ear. his lips touched right below my ear and I shuddered slightly. It felt nice.

“I am awake.” I mumbled.

“Then why are your eyes closed?” he asked. I could feel his smile against my skin.

“Could you two do that some other time?” Xavier asked, raising an eyebrow at us.

“No.” Will said, muttering something about his stupid jealous brother.

I chuckled and stood up, stretching. I walked into the dining room followed by Xavier and Will.

I sat between the two of them and gave myself a small serving of pasta. I wasn’t that hungry and pasta had a lot of carbs. I grabbed some salad as well.

People talked and I was glad no one brought up my mother. I knew Xavier would ask me later. The girls had  thought we just went to meet a lawyer.

It was difficult to eat everything and I knew it wasn’t that much food. Was it my mothers comment earlier?

All of her insults still swirled around my mind. It was easy to push aside gold digger and slut because I knew I was neither of those things, but murderer and fat still bounced around my head.

I tried not to focus on it during a meal. I needed to eat or people would be angry.

“Rainah, dear, are you alright?” Bethany asked me halfway through the meal.

“Yeah, I’m just not very hungry.” I said, quietly. I noticed everyone staring at me.

“Try to finish what you have.” She said.

I had finished a bit more then half of my portion. I took a deep breath and forced myself to keep eating. I wasn’t going to start something on my first night here and in front of the girls.

Will put a hand on my knee, squeezing gently. I tried to smile at him.

Once I had finished, I felt accomplished but there was a sense of guilt telling me I shouldn’t have eaten all of that, I pushed that away.

“Xavier and Sky, you two get to do the dishes tonight.” Bethany told them.

They both agreed and started taking the dishes and the silverware.

Everyone got up and went to do their own thing. Lily told me she wanted to show me something up in her room so I followed her up. Will stayed downstairs with Zoey.