Chapter 40

On Wednesday, Xavier was driving me to the treatment center. Yesterday was uneventful as was today.

Will and I still weren’t on good terms. He didn’t try to stop me from leaving his room again after music class. We still danced together. We just weren’t really talking.

I would catch him staring at me a lot but I never could read his expression.

I still cried about it a fair amount. I missed him, his touch, his voice, his smell- just everything. His absence made me feel cold and empty.

Talking to him seemed impossible so I hoped my performance at the talent show would help me out.

“Are you okay going in by yourself?” Xavier asked me when he parked. “Those girls stared at me more then I was comfortable with.”

“I’m good.” I laughed.

I got out and walked in on my own. It wasn’t as scary now that I knew a bit about the place but surely wasn’t relaxing.

I signed in and went to sit with Amber and Leah who had waved at me when I entered.

“Hey.” Amber greeted me in a daze, she was smiling brightly.

“What’s up with her?” I asked Leah.

“There’s some new male staff member here,” Leah told me, rolling her eyes. “He’s apparently incredibly hot. But she seems to forget that she is his patient.”

“I didn’t forget.” Amber defended herself. “I just chose to ignore that fact.”

“Wait, is he examining us?” I interrupted them. The thought of some guy touching me or even just seeing my cuts made me nervous. I wasn’t comfortable with it at all.

“Only some, why?” Amber answered.

“I am not comfortable with random guys touching me because of my past.” I admitted.

They both looked at me curiously. They wanted to know more but they didn’t want to make me talk.

“It’s a pretty long story.”

“We have forty five minutes to hear it.” Leah reminded me.

Just then, a male voice called me at the same time Amber was called.

I looked at this guy carefully. He had short blonde hair, a muscular build and eyes that were a mix of gray and blue.

I guess he was attractive but Will was better. Way better. But of course I got the new guy.

“I’m not comfortable having a guy touch me.” I told Debbie who had called Amber.

She looked me over. My hands were shaking violently from fear.

“Alright.” She sighed. “Amber, go to Adam.”

“Thank you.” I said as we went in a room.

She just nodded, took my weight, my vitals and checked for new cuts before she let me leave.

When Amber came out, she sat in the chair and looked at me expectantly like Leah was.

“Alright, alright.” I sighed. I stared at the ceiling, determined not to cry. “My father is abusive, he killed my twin brother. He tried to rape me when he was drunk.”

They both were silent for a minute or so.

“How’d you escape that night?” Leah asked quietly.

“Another guy saved me.” I smiled slightly, thinking about Will. “His family adopted my sisters and I.”

“You like this guy?” Amber asked.