"Hey dad," I smile, welcoming his embrace. He hugs me tightly before gesturing between the two of us. "You guys playing? We just started a new round, I can deal you in?"

    "Sure," Jack replies, winking at me.

    I shrug. "I guess I-"

    "Scott!"

    Mum stomps over to us from where she's just entered the kitchen. She holds up the bags of chips and shakes them in her husband's face. "I just put three bowls out there ten minutes ago! You guys have eaten them already?"

    A guilty look comes over my dad's face and he smiles. "Hey! We're big men out there in the middle of an intense game of poker! We've got to eat!"

    "How about eating something healthy like those organic crisps I bought! Stop loading your bodies with this garbage. I'll go get a bowl."

    "Sure, honey." Dad calls after his wife as she leaves to fetch said snacks. Turning around, he picks up the chip packets and slides them unsubtly into his coat. He winks at us as he leaves. "Don't tell mum."

    A chuckle escapes me. Some things never change, and my dad, bless his soul, will never get over his fear of his wife. It made me smile. My parents were perfect for each other.

    Suddenly three men walk into the room. Marty and Alex, two boys I knew from high school, were chatting happily with Marty's dad when they see us.

    "Jack! Troye! It's so good to see you!" Marty exclaims, coming over to greet us. He pats me on the back. "How've you been, man?"

    "I'm doing fine, you?" I question.

    Marty grins. "Can't complain dude."

    Jack is in deep conversation with Alex when Marty's dad, Greg, says to my father. "Scott, you coming, man? We're ready for the next round and I'm barely scraping through."

     "Coming right now, Greg." My dad goes to leave, turning to us. "Boys, come out when you're ready and we'll deal you in!"

     "We better go," Jack laughs as Marty and Alex leave after the adults. "Your dad will kill us if we bring the wrath of your mum into his pool house."

     "Oh no you don't," Mum says, returning to the kitchen with a bowl of chips in hand. She sets it on the counter and comes over to me. "You go play Jack, I'm going to catch up with my son. We're watching Insidious tonight."

     "Mum." I groan as Jack snickers.

    "This means nothing!" I hiss at Jack as he leaves the room with a knowing grin.

     "C'mon you," Mum drags me towards the TV room. "It's movie night."

     "Do we have to watch a horror film?"

     A chuckle sounds from the doorway and I look up to find my sister leaning against it. "Wow," she says. "Some things never change."

     "I don't like horror movies," I sulk. "Sue me."

     "I'll protect you." Aria jokes, coming to take a seat next to me on the couch. She pats me on the shoulder. "It's good to see you, bro."

      "You saw me this morning." I point out.

     Aria shrugs. "This morning there was no guarantee of tonight."

    "Oh god, you're using mum's lines now?"

    "Who's using my what?" Mum re-enters the room and takes a seat on the armchair.

     "Aria is quoting you."