Chapter Four

After Jack's abrupt exit, I made a direct beeline for my room.

    Not bothering to shower, I simply stripped down and changed into something more comfortable before diving straight into my bed. I bury myself in the covers and lay on my side, staring at the wall, guilt settling into my stomach.

    How could I have asked Jack something so personal? I felt like such a horrible person for even suggesting it. I was a bad friend and a bad person to put him in such a place and I regretted every moment of it.

    An hour later there is a soft knock at my door. To upset to even speak, I remain silent and bury my head further into my pillows to avoid further humiliation.

    "Troye?"

    My door opens quietly and Jack steps in, looking towards me in concern. "Can we talk?"

    I say nothing, opting to stare at the rock band poster on my wall.

    "Troye," Jack sits down on the edge of my bed. "Talk to me."

    "I have nothing to say." I whisper.

    "You don't have to be embarrassed."

    "But I am!" I sit up suddenly. "I feel so bad for asking you to do that. I'm so sorry Jack."

    "Don't feel bad," Jack replied gently. "You were scared and needed help and so you asked for it. That's nothing to be ashamed of."

    "I put a strain on our friendship." I mutter. "And I made you uncomfortable."

    "I know you didn't mean to." Jack taps a finger against my wrist as an act of comfort.

    I look away from him, shoulders dropping as I give in to the humiliation. Part of me wished I could go back in time and erase the whole night.

    My hand runs over my face and I manage a smile. "Guess I'll just have to google this stuff, huh?"

    "Maybe you don't have to."

    My gaze flicks to Jack instantly who shifts uncomfortably. "What are you talking about?"

    "I think," Jack says, avoiding my gaze. "I've figured out a way we can both win in this scenario."

    "What's that?"

    Jack reaches into his pocket and pulls out a piece of paper. Putting it in front of me, I skim the contents.

    Agreement between alternating parties, Jack Chase and Troye Evans, on the terms of sex and relationships.

     "What is this?" I laugh.

    "A contract," Jack says. "In order to preserve our friendship, we both sign this and agree to the terms."

    I look between Jack and the contract in surprise. "Really?"

    Jack nods. "Read the terms."

    My eyes fall back to the piece of paper as I read through it.

    (1) On the promise of sexual teachings, both parties agree that should there be any question about the state of their friendship, the contract is automatically terminated and said lessons must not be continued.

    (2) Either party may terminate the contract at any given time and do not need to provide an explanation for their exit.

    The third term really stands out to me as I read over it again.

    (3) Should any party begin developing romantic feelings, the contract is automatically suspended and lessons are discontinued in order to preserve friendship.