Chapter 4: Find What You're Looking For

"The saddest thing about betrayal is that it never comes from your enemies." - Unknown

~~~~~~~~~~~~

Lyn (Alyna Ameer)

~~~~~~~~~~~

Sitting on my computer, I stare at the blinking cursor on my screen. My friend request glares back at me, and I know this could end very badly. I don't know why, but I sit there, staring at the screen, my hand still hovering over the friend request. It's 6 pm and Aly still hasn't replied. Should I unfriend request? Should I pretend it was no big deal? Should I just leave it like that? What if she doesn't reply?

I am still mulling over what to do next when the screen blinks again and a notification pops up. Friend Request Accepted. Chat With Alyna Naadir! Thank God, or else it would have been very awkward.

Aly: Hey

Aly: Lyn

Lyn: Hi Aly

Aly: So we have to work on the project.

Lyn: Yeah sure

Aly: Ok...so where do we start?

Lyn: ...I don't know

I let out a huff of frustration. This seriously wasn't going anywhere.

Aly: Ok, well, I am not the genius here

Lyn: That doesn't mean I know how to do the entire project myself

Aly: I didn't say that

Lyn: Ok then what was it supposed to mean?

Aly: Nvm, forget it.

Lyn: Fine

Aly: Fine

Lyn: Fine

What the heck was this chat? At this rate, we would get nothing done. Aly had better say something OTHER than 'fine,' or else we were going to fail.

Aly: Whatever. So are you going to search up the chemicals or something?

Lyn: Um, we'll search up the different displacement reactions and then write the report I guess?

Aly: Ok.

For the next hour, we work in silence, not uttering a word to each other. It is the first time that it was a comfortable silence, knowing that Aly is on the other side of the screen at her house.

Her status blinks 'online' in a reassuring way. I can see her typing frantically on our shared doc, my report underneath hers.

A plink comes from a new notification on my screen, and I can see myself getting a message. Clicking on it, I see that it is from Aly.

Aly: I'm done for today. It's almost 10

Lyn: Fine. I'm just going to finish this up and read later.

I can see that Aly is typing, but not the message. It seems that she is debating on what to say. Finally, a message pops up.

Aly: What book?

Lyn: City of Bones, actually. I'm going to start where I left off in your book.

I curse myself. Idiot! Why would you mention her book? You complete retard!

Aly: Oh. That's nice. Which part are you on?

I stare at the message. She's not serious, is she? Is she actually trying to be nice? Maybe she is trying to make an effort? The thought of it makes me want to try as well, and so I do the thing which I am best at. I reply back.