Chapter 28: A Resolution

Start from the beginning

"And thirdly, just because you have connections with the Marcellus's doesn't mean that you are the highlight of this society, what really matters is that I am a second rank noble while you are just some peasant who got lucky in the Mage tournament

"And thirdly, just because you have connections with the Marcellus's doesn't mean that you are the highlight of this society, what really matters is that I am a second rank noble while you are just some peasant who got lucky in the Mage tournament..." she was almost shaking with rage-filled passion while she was trying to degrade me and drag me down. Her eyes were furious and her face was contorting into a sour scrunched up ball. It spoke volumes about her character that she was willing to speak to me like this after not even having one conversation with me. If this was back home I probably would have gone off on her, but this was Gismead, so rank was everything here, she was the second rank while I was the third rank, so any kind of outburst from me would have been seen as me stepping out of place, so I decided to stay calm and just watch as Livinia got this out of her system. I would teach her a lesson one day.

"...I will soon be married to Lord Sinjin and become part of the Von Esterheim main family, and when that happens I won't stand for some wretch like you grabbing people's attention with your cheap music and sad little white dresses!" She was literally seething; her face had gone bright red and her mouth was pinched tightly with anger. Looking at her face, I couldn't believe that I had thought she was pretty when I saw her earlier today, right now she looked just really ugly, in more than just the physical sense.

When I didn't react to her little outburst, and just calmly stared at her, she seemed to become even more enraged. "In case you didn't understand! Soon I will be a Lady of the first rank and won't mind crushing you in the public eye, so you had better apologize to me for playing for everyone earlier in my place. If you do, I won't be as harsh on you as you deserve." Her eyes had an evil glint to them, I could see the malice in her, she stretched out her slender pale hand that was sporting a large pearl ring (it was customary in Gismead for the guilty party to kiss the ring of the person who had been wronged)

Did she actually think I would kiss it...?

I looked her straight in her cold eyes, looked at her outstretched hand, stood there for a moment just for dramatic effect - and so that I could enjoy the flabbergasted expression on her face - then swiftly walked past her. I didn't turn back to see her reaction, I only daydreamed about how shocked she must have looked.

I joined Cornelius and Lucian who were talking amongst a group of knights, they introduced me to their friends in the knight's Order, who were all charming and gentlemanly. They were all very interested to meet me and complimented me on my healing potion, and congratulated me on winning the tournament.

While we were talking the ballroom started to fill up and more of the guests flooded in, Alice arrived wearing a beautiful light pink dress that had a corseted waist and golden beads and threading. She looked stunning, and as soon as she entered all eyes were on her, the knights were practically drooling as she gracefully walked towards them, I didn't miss the infuriating glare that Lavinia gave her or the nasty looks that Lavinia's group of girls gave Alice. Alice didn't pay them any attention and just basked in the glory of being the best dressed.