Chapter 23-the abyss

"He who fights with monsters should be careful lest he thereby become a monster. And if thou gaze long into an abyss, the abyss will also gaze into thee."
—Nietzsche

23|the abyss
R I L E Y

After the doctor deemed me fit enough to go home (as in at least I wasn't going to drop dead any minute), I left the room holding a prescription for some medicine. Apparently if I rested well and drank a lot of fluids I'd be fine. I caught sight of Liam and Natalie sitting nearby and made my way towards them. Liam saw me first and started to stand up but Natalie beat him to it, rushing up and wrapping her arms around me.

"Well, you survived that episode of Mrs Henzel's cooking. I would say that I hope it's the last time that happens but we all know it's probably not." Her laugh sounded forced and her eyes kept looking to the side to avoid my gaze.
"Hey...Natalie. What really happened back there?" I narrowed my eyes suspiciously, but still trying to sound polite to not make her mad.

"Oh...I saw Jacob dancing with another girl. And uhh...that girl happened to be Maddie and I just...y'know broke down. Why are you asking me? Didn't I tell you before?"She looked into my eyes for a moment before looking away again.
"Is there anything else you want to tell me?" I asked seriously.
"NO! I mean, er, no. Really, Riley, you don't gotta worry about me."  Another laugh.
"Alright." I shrugged nonchalantly, pushing any doubts to the back of my mind. An awkward cough turned out attention to Liam, who was standing a couple metres away from us, with his hands shoved in his jean pockets.

"Well? Are we gonna get you some of the medicine or not? Honestly, I don't have all day for this." He nodded towards the prescription paper I was holding impatiently.
"Wow, Liam. Is this really how you would treat a hospital patient?" I rolled my eyes sarcastically as I breezed past him.
"Glad you haven't puked up any of that spunk, Henzel." He deadpanned.
"I could never, McCoy." I shot back.
"Great. Now we're working on a last name basis." Natalie sighed from behind us.

After buying the medicine, which I realised cost five whole dollars more than it used to (*sobs sadly*, but when you've been food poisoned so many times, you eventually memorise how much medicine for this kinda stuff costs), I eventually harassed Liam enough to drive Natalie and me to our respective houses. Lucky for her, Natalie's house is not too far away and she yells an enthusiastic "see ya" before slamming the car door shut. We watch her unlock her front door and enter her house before driving away in the direction of my own neighbourhood.

"God, it seems like today will never end. What's the time Spider-Man?" I yawned, leaning my head back onto the leather headrest in the backseat.
"I'm not going to tell you if you call me Spider-man," was the childish reply.
"Alright, alright. What's the time Mr Wolf?" I ask sarcastically.
"Riley." Liam frowned at the new nickname. I kicked the back of his seat impatiently.
"God, you're hopeless. I'll check the time myself." I glance at the direction of the dashboard to see that it was already 10:30.
"OH MY GOD! LIAM DRIVE FASTER IT'S ALREADY 10:30!" I yelled in panic.
"What?" He looks at me confusedly.
"My mum said to be back before 10!" I frantically shriek as I check my phone. I had put it on mute and only now had I realised that I had five missed calls from my mother.
"Oh shit!" Now sharing my panic, Liam speeds on the suburban roads as the car shot forward from the acceleration.

By the time we reach my house, I already sense my mum's anger radiating from within the house. I frantically push the door open as I fumble for my stuff.
"Wait!" Liam stopped me, and I look back in annoyance.
"What now?" I snapped in exasperation.
"Here, take these." He shoves the remaining boxes of Krispy Kreme into my hands. I manage to give him a lopsided smile.
"Thanks. See ya!" I didn't wait for a reply before booking it towards my house. As soon as I enter the front door, all hell breaks loose.