Chapter 17-A severe case of Indigestion

L I A M

17| a severe case of indigestion

"So...judging from the mess I assume Riley requested cream of tomato that is vegan, gluten free, organic and must be sourced from local farms. It can't wheat, soy, peanuts, gelatine, lactose, fructose, artificial colours, artificial flavours or preservatives in the soup. She doesn't want too much basil, because nauseous. 1/4 cup of basil is the preferred amount. Only precisely 72 hour ripe 'Solanum lycopersicum' tomatoes, with home-made paste,right?" Riley's mother surveyed the mess in the kitchen as she recited Riley's order word for word.

"H-how....?" I was absolutely dumbstruck.

"Don't worry; she's been using that for every boy that's tried to pursue her. Usually, I'd sit back and watch the poor lad suffer but since I've taken a liking to you and want to pay you back for saving our lives....I guess I'll make cream of tomato for you too." Mrs Henzel smiled warmly.

"O-oh...yeah. Thanks." I mumbled, feeling a little mad that Riley had recycled her demands and used them on a bunch of other guys.

Why should I care? She's just this random girl from my science class.

"Now, if you don't mind; I'd like my apron back." Mrs Henzel clicked her fingers in front of my face.

"Right." My checks heated up a bit realising that she had saw me wear this ridiculous piece of clothing.

"Thank you. And if you could help me clean up this work place and get me some more tomatoes....."

————————————————

I peered over Riley's mother's shoulders skeptically as she carelessly threw a couple of chopped tomatoes in the strong-smelling soup.

"Mrs Henzel; with all due respect. I think what you're cooking is great but it's already not gluten free or vegan and I'm pretty sure the tomatoes are-" I pointed out but she waved me off.

"Pfft, you mean Riley's order? Yeah nah, my cream of tomato recipe will do just fine." Mrs Henzel chuckled slightly.

"Then how come-" I was still confused.

"Riley won't be able to resist my cooking, this soup will do just fine." She cut me off as I handed her half a bowl of basil.

"Right..." My voice trailed off uncertainly as I quickly ducked out of the kitchen and peered into the living room.

"What the-?" I almost choked.

Riley had somehow managed to fall off the sofa, her head on the carpet and her feet were hanging off the back of the sofa.

AND she was still snoring soundly like a pig.

"Ahh yes....so do you want to wake her up or should I?" I turned around to see Mrs Henzel looking at her daughter skeptically. Before I could answer, a sound in the kitchen made her dash back to the cooking pot.

"Never mind! You do it!" She called from the other side.

"Ahhh....yeah sure....no problem." I turned back to the sleeping pig. Inching closer; I tapped her shoulder gently. She muttered something and whacked my hand away. Sighing, I tapped her shoulder even harder. Riley finally cracked open one eye.

"What? Wait a minute....why am I on the floor?" She sat up lazily, still rubbing her eyes.

"I dunno, beats me. Anyways, your mum is making cream of tomato-" I shrugged offhandedly. Riley's eyes shot open.

"Cream of tomato? My mum?" She said uncertainly.

"Yeah?" I answered.

"Is this a joke?" Riley glared at me.

"No...?" I regarded her curiously.

"Then RUN!" She hissed.

"What, why?"

"Because unless you want to risk food poisoning and 3 days in a medical clinic-because that's what happened the last time my mum cooked- you should run for the hills and never come back." Riley whispered.

"You're mum's cooking is bad? Yeah right." I scoffed but Riley shook her head solemnly.

"I'm serious. You DO NOT want to taste my mum's cooking. Sure she's a good mother but her food? Not edible at all. Trust me, I've had to drag her out of the kitchen countless times. Bad food and a passion for cooking is not a good combination. So I've always been the chef in my house....after HE died..." Sadness flashed briefly in her eyes, "But anyways, make up an excuse got it? Before mum comes back-"

I was about to tell Riley that I had already agreed to dinner and it was already too late when Mrs Henzel came into view with a spatula. Riley cursed under her breath.

"Ahh Riley, you're up. I hope you're feeling alright. Anyways, Liam here has already agreed to join us for dinnner so don't you shoo him away like your other friends that have come over. My cream of tomato is ready so I'm expecting the dinner table to be laid in 5 minutes."

"Yes mum." Riley glared at me pointedly.

"What now?" I hissed anxiously.

"Hey mum, I'm gonna show Liam the bathroom. Come on!" She called, whispering the last part. I followed her obediently up the stairs. As soon as we turned left into a bathroom, Riley bolted the door behind her. I didn't even get a chance to admire the grey and white decor before I was shoved onto the closed toilet seat.

"Wha-?" I looked at her but Riley was already too busy digging through the cabinets.

"Where is my secret stash? Ughh I knew this was gonna happen." She groaned in frustration as bottles of pills and bandaids fell to the ground. I picked them up and set them on the bench.

"What are you looking?" I peered over her brown hair.

"Overdosing on drugs because I don't want to live anymore, duh." Riley muttered sarcastically.

"What??"

"Pepto-Bismol." Was the frustrated reply.

"What are those for?" I didn't quite understand why she was practically pulling apart her bathroom tile by tile.

"In case you didn't know; Pepto-Bismol is for diarrhoea, indigestion, heartburn and nausea. After tonight, I doubt you'll get away without any of these symptoms." Riley countered, tossing me a pink and yellow box that she had produced from the darkest depths of the bathroom cabinet.

"That bad?" I asked skeptically, pocketing them in my jeans.

"That's only if you don't throw up until there's nothing left to vomit except your own stomach bile. You'll be lucky if you walk out of the ER with only indigestion." Riley smirked slightly before throwing back a couple of pills.

"Isn't that bad for your health?" I asked uncertainly, feeling a little uneasy fro her description.

"First hand experience. It's better if you swallowed some now. That way they'll kick in around the same time you get the first bite. I've gotten good at sneaking a couple in during the meal without water." She flashed me a quick grin, as if she was amused about my inexperience.

I reached for those pills again and was about to say something until Riley's mum's voice sounded from downstairs.

"Dinner's ready! What's taking you kids so long?"

"Nothing! Liam dropped his phone in the toilet!" Riley called before dashing out of the bathroom after giving me a last wince of a smile.

Oh boy....

————————————————-

A/N:

Could this be...what they call an 'update'? It's been a while peeps but I've managed to get my undisciplined ass to update....

Anyways....let's pray for Liam's health shall we?

BAIIII

SassyRoyal xx

1231 words