Chapter 98

It was Christmas. 

While disaster ensued at St. Mungo's, Hogwarts had settled into its usual Christmas spirit, albeit with a few notable missing seats and missing chatter. 

Without its key players, the halls were not as festive nor important as they once were.

But nevertheless, it was Christmas. 

"Come home with me over break?" Avery asked. 

"Sorry?" Sam said, not believing what he had just heard. 

"I-I know that there's a lot going on right now with our friends...I thought that you might want to go somewhere to take your mind off of everything. My family is going skiing at our lodge this year. It's a lot of fun. If you wanna come along..."

Sam's heart jumped a little in his chest. "I-I need to ask my parents first...but I'd love to. I've never actually gone skiing before. You can teach me?" 

"Of course I can."    

As they got off the train, they were greeted by Mr. and Mrs. Avery, already waiting in a towncar.  

"Merry Christmas Mum and Dad! This-this is my friend Sam."

Sam shook hands with Mr. Avery, who gave him a stern smile. 

"Come in the car, dears. It must be freezing outside." Mrs. Avery said, gesturing for the driver to take the boys' luggage to the trunk.  

As they got in the car, they smiled at each other, giddy. It was the first time they had been able to relax in months. 

As they arrived at the lodge resort, Sam gasped in awe at the beauty of the snow covered mountains. 

"Woah...this is what it looks like?"

"Yeah. It's beautiful, isn't it?" Avery said, turning his face so he could see Sam. They caught each other's eyes, and a slight blush crept onto Sam's cheeks. His hand brushed Avery's leg, and Avery smiled. They hoped that Mrs. and Mr. Avery, one consumed by the Daily Prophet and the other by a conversation about muggle cars with the driver, didn't notice. 

As Sam stepped out of the car, he could smell the crisp, cold mountain air, and it instantly took away all the worries of the world outside. 

Later in the afternoon, he lied down in the snow, and Avery lied down next to him, looking up at the infinite blue sky in front of them.  

"You like it here?" Avery asked. 

"Hmm...it's alright. I mean, it'll do for now."

Avery laughed, inching a bit closer, looking around to make sure no one was within sight. 

"Your nose is so red. You look like fuckin' Rudolph the reindeer." Avery said, touching the tip of Sam's nose and making him smile. 

"Who are you then? Vixen?"

"Are you kidding me? I'm Santa Claus. Blessing you with all my gifts." 

"Slytherin is going to explode, knowing that their star seeker is actually a jolly fat old man in disguise." Sam laughed. 

"Fat? says who?" Avery cried, lifting up his sweater to reveal several rows of neatly toned abs. 

Sam punched him playfully in the stomach and blushed again. "You douchebag." He said. 

Avery gently bit his ear. "That's what you get for insulting me."  

"Ahhh! I'm dead tired. I just want to sleep."

"After dinner. Tomorrow morning, wake up early, and we'll hit the slopes as soon as the sun rises. The sunrise here is amazing." 

"But I can't ski..."